What's new

SPHE Press Release: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniv. (DVD,BLU-RAY) (1 Viewer)

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

Had a quick look, the effects shots seem pretty stable

Is there a specific shot I should look out for?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Can anyone confirm if the 1977 version is truly the theatrical cut, or if it's the Spielberg-approved Criterion cut?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Sony apparently ran out of advance copies. I may receive it today, assuming that UPS is delivering today.

Are there any particular scenes in the 1998 transfer which you would like me to compare with the Blu-ray?

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
It has the extra shot of Neary's truck on the highway, the "Days of our Lives" scene and the longer scene of the escape from the helicopter.
If that's any help :)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Immediately after the "frozen in spotlights at the train crossing" scene, when Roy kicks his truck back into gear, is there a bird's-eye shot of a huge circular spacecraft shadow passing over Roy's truck and the surrounding landscape? If so, it's not the real theatrical cut.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
There is a shot of Roy inside the truck driving in the tunnel which starts sooner, this is missing on the Criterion disc

For missing shots that are present on the new Theatrical Cut DVD, and not on the Criterion LD, see attached:

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Um, okay, but you totally avoided my question. :confused:

Is the circular shadow shot in this DVD's offering of the theatrical cut or not?

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

There is no circular shadow shot, it cuts to Roy in the tunnel with an extended shot missing in other versions. Sorry if I wasn't clear :)

rambaldi

Auditioning
Real Name
Marco Rambaldi
On SPIELBERGFILMS.COM forum more details and proofs that the original version included on the new dvd is the actual print released theatrically in 1977

MatthewHA

Grip
So I watched CETK theatrical cut yesterday. Wow, I haven't seen some of the scenes/shots in 30 years. Some things I noticed:

1 scene with Carl Weathers as a military policeman hassling Roy in the Wyoming train depot.

The scene of the UFO shadow passing over Roy's truck from the sky is not in this cut.

No scene of Roy's eldest boy yelling and calling him a crybaby, no scene of the youngest boy bashing the legs off the baby doll in the enclosed playpen

Extended shots of the three escaping from the helicopter

No scene of the ocean freighter in the desert

Of course, the poster included with the set shows the differences in each edition, a nice touch that fans should appreciate.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Of course, the greatest CE3K "bonus" for me is nothing that can ever be put on any disc. It was being able to see the mothership up close. In addition to the little R2D2 and mailbox, there is also an airport (with Earthling planes at the terminal), and a little cemetery plot with a picket fence! These model makers have too much time on their hands. ;)

Sadly, it wasn't lit up, although the wiring for the lights seemed to all be there. And yes, that is a space shuttle in the reflection.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well even if it doesn't retain the trailers and "Watch the Skies" in SD (the only reason why I'm holding on to my 2001 2-discer), I'm now sold on the idea of double-dipping this. Just think we're getting a cut of the film that hasn't been seen by mass audiences in 30 years!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The trailers and 1977's Watch The Skies short is included in this new set. Also a two part making of documentary. The original 1977 theatrical print is what it says. I am glad to see this version again for the scenes it that were cut out. Over the years, I almost thought I had imagined those scenes, especially the scene at the power plant.

Now it is on to the Special Edition version later tonight.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
But the initial PR for this stated that the trailers and Watch the Skies were only being kept for the Blu-Ray edition. Are they still on the SD set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks