1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Bridge on the River Kwai (4k UHD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Message #1 of 85 Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of a Timeless Classic
    on 4K Ultra HD™ October 3

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

Winner of Seven Academy Awards®,
    Including Best Picture and Best Director (David Lean)

CULVER CITY, Calif. (July 18, 2017) – A must-own for film fans and adventure-seekers alike,Sony Pictures Home Entertainment debuts THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI on next-generation 4K Ultra HD for the first time October 3 to commemorate its diamond anniversary. One of the crown jewels in the Columbia Pictures catalog, the release also includes the existing Blu-ray™ with incisive special features and historical context, making it the perfect holiday gift. Fully restored in 4K resolution and presented with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Dolby Atmos audio, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI won seven Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Director (David Lean) and Best Actor (Alec Guinness.)* William Holden also stars in this epic WWII drama of POWs in Burma forced to build a bridge to aid the war effort of their Japanese captors.

In 1997, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI was deemed “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and selected for the National Film Registry by the United States Library of Congress. The American Film Institute included it among the best American films ever and in 1999, the British Film Institute voted it the 11th greatest British film of the 20th Century.

4K Ultra HD is the perfect way for fans to immerse themselves in this iconic classic. The 4K Ultra HD features four times the resolution of high definition, high dynamic range (HDR)--which produces brilliant highlights, vibrant colors and greater contrast on compatible displays--and Dolby Atmos audio, remixed specifically for the home theater environment, delivering captivating sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room, including overhead.

Synopsis:
    When British POWs build a vital railway bridge in enemy-occupied Burma, Allied commandos are assigned to destroy it in David Lean’s epic World War II adventure THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. Spectacularly produced, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI captured the imagination of the public and won seven 1957 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Alec Guinness), and Best Director. Even its theme song, an old WWII whistling tune, the Colonel Bogey March, became a massive hit. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI continues today as one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time.

Bonus Features on Blu-ray Include:
    • Crossing the Bridge: Picture-in-Picture Graphics Track
    • Making of The Bridge on the River Kwai
    • The Steve Allen Show with William Holden & Alec Guinness
    • The Bridge on the River Kwai Premiere Narrated by William Holden
    • “Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant” Featurette
    • USC Short Film Introduced by William Holden
    • An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius
    • Photo Gallery
    • Theatrical Trailers
    THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI has a run time of approximately 161 minutes and is rated PG for mild war violence.

Academy Award® and Oscar® are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

# # #

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, this should be interesting to see how HDR is applied to this great classic.

DavidJ likes this.
  3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Indeed! I'm really excited about this release!

4. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    I watched this on one of the streaming services no HDR and it look fantastic. Should be an interesting release. I have been waiting to see this one and Lawrence of Arabia to hit UHD Disc.

5. Message #5 of 85 Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    Been waiting for this, I hope we also get Lawrence of Arabia soon.
    I see this has Dolby Atmos and HDR, I wonder what Mr Lean would say if the great man was still with us.

dpippel and SAhmed like this.
  6. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I sure hope that the PQ is better than the cover!

My astonishment about the "special" cover aside I am sure it will look great, there will even be a nice bump in detail over the Blu-ray.

Vegas 1 and SAhmed like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I suspect a UHD release for Lawrence of Arabia would be dependent on how well this does sales-wise. Sony may not bother with a disc release if this doesn't sell.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    While BRIDGE is my favorite movie ever (and I'm 67), LAWRENCE would benefit most from a terrific 4K release. Naturally, I will buy both, and these will be instrumental in my expensive decision to go OLED.

SAhmed and Tino like this.
  9. Message #9 of 85 Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I will disagree with you on this -- LAWRENCE is one of Columbia's tent pole titles and will be treated as well as anything in their catalog, including an eventual (and, in my opinion, inevitable) 4K Blu-ray. This, if done correctly, will be the film that the new format best shows off, and if you need just one sequence that would hugely benefit from this upgrade, check out the lengthy shots in which the Omar Sharif character approaches the desert water hole where Peter O'Toole guardedly waits for the mystery man on his camel to reveal himself. Projected onto a big screen, I would guess that the current Blu-ray does not do this or many other gorgeous Freddie Young-framed shots justice.

10. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
    Horrible cover but I'm sure the presentation itself on 4K will be solid. Count me in!

Regards,

Brent Reid likes this.
  11. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

I believe that you are referring to the scene in which Omar Sharif makes his entrance into Lawrence of Arabia and international fame.

On Bridge...how in the hell is this film going to have Dolby Atmos sound without completely redoing the sound...

12. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    With respect to that scene, it's more the size of a massive screen rather than detail that gives it its impact. If you saw this projected on film, you wouldn't have seen anything even approaching 4K resolution, including 70mm.

13. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Shit, yeah. Omar Sharif, not Anthony Quinn. Corrected in my post, thank you.

14. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Easy. "Don't make a circus out of it!"

Richard V and Stephen_J_H like this.
  15. OliverK

OliverK Producer

With regard to expanse AND detail I would prefer the shot that follows after Anthony Quinn says "Welcome to Wadi Rum" - that was the second scene in Lawrence that I found outstanding even in this film when it comes to sheer impressiveness of picture and sound. I still have shivers running down my spine when I see it in a proper setting and with a good enough picture and sound quality.

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    And you would be correct! Beautifully fully exposed negative -- and one of the January 1963 deletions,

17. Dave-Q-H

Dave-Q-H Agent

Hi,

is it safe to assume that the standard blu included will have the new 4k transfer- in good ol'1080p? As was the case with Unforgiven ?

I ask because, I believe, the standard blu ray packaged with the 4k release of the 'The Mummy' used the old transfer from the HD- DVD days!

18. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    All 4K movies include a blu-ray. Now not to say if it is old or new...

19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Based on the listing of special features and the fact that the previous BD was based on a 4K scan, I think it's more likely that the BD will be identical to the existing disc, and that the UHD release will use the same 4K scan as well.

20. OliverK

OliverK Producer

There is a 4k version our there already as a download and it looks quite different from the Blu-ray that is supposed to come from the same source. The Blu-ray looks flat and filtered by comparison.