SPHE PRESS RELEASE: Blue Thunder: The Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    ROY SCHEIDER, MALCOLM MCDOWELL AND DANIEL STERN STAR IN THE DIGITALLY REMASTERED ACTION CLASSIC

BLUE THUNDER:
    THE SPECIAL EDITION

- Arriving On DVD April 4 With All New Special Features -

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 23, 2006) – The air above Los Angeles will heat up when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases the 1983 classic action thriller Blue Thunder on digitally re-mastered Special Edition DVD April 4. Directed by John Badham (Stakeout, WarGames, Dracula, Saturday Night Fever), the film stars Roy Scheider (JAWS, The Rainmaker, The Punisher), Malcolm McDowell (In Good Company, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius) and Daniel Stern (City Slickers, Home Alone) in a sky-high adventure about an LAPD pilot battling government fanatics that are out to misuse an experimental attack helicopter. Featuring impressive aerial scenes, daredevil stunts and breathtaking cinematography, the special edition Blue Thunder DVD contains all-new bonus features including commentary with Scheider and Badham in a special multi-part making of featurette. Blue Thunder: The Special Edition will be available on DVD April 4 for an SLP of $19.94.

Blue Thunder was an instant hit in 1983, grossing more than $40 million at the box office and was later adapted into a weekly TV series. Produced by Gordon Carroll (Alien, Alien: Resurrection) and written by Don Jakoby, Dan O'Bannon and Dean Riesner, the action-packed film also featured actor Warren Oates (In the Heat of the Night, Stripes,The Wild Bunch, Badlands) in one of his final film appearances.

Synopsis

In Blue Thunder, ex-Vietnam chopper pilot Frank Murphy (Scheider) is chosen to test the newest addition to the Los Angeles Police Department’s aerial arsenal: “Blue Thunder,” an experimental high-tech, high-speed stealth helicopter. Armed and designed to counter street insurgencies and quell possible terrorist attacks during the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, the helicopter can see through walls, record a whisper or level a city block. While flying Blue Thunder, Murphy and his partner Lymangood (Stern) begin to distrust the military mentality behind the remarkable craft and it’s not long before the two courageous officers discover the sinister government intentions to use the helicopter for corrupt crowd control and surveillance. The devious top secret operation is being run by Murphy’s former comrade-in-arms, now bitter enemy, Colonel Cochrane (McDowell), who will stop at nothing to neutralize Blue Thunder and expedite an armed takeover of the United States. Attempting to expose this covert military op, Murphy “borrows” Blue Thunder, flying against military and police aircrafts in a spellbinding battle over Los Angeles.

DVD BONUS FEATURES

· “Ride with the Angels”: Making-of Blue Thunder multi-part featurette which includes all-new interviews with Scheider and Director John Badham

· “The Special”: Building the Blue Thunder Helicopter featurette

· Director, Editor and Motion Control Supervisor Commentary

· 1983 Promotional Featurette

Blue Thunder: The Special Edition has a run time of 108 minutes and is rated R. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 10888
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-10888-2
    DVD Order Date: 3/2/06
    DVD SLP: $19.94

2. M

M Stunt Coordinator

Hello.

dvdcompare.net claims that there are no cuts in any of Blue Thunder DVD editions, which includes new R1 SE.

But reviewer at amazon.com wrote about R1 SE:

"the movie itself remains the same old version, missing a good bit of the car chase which, for some reason, was included in European copies but was never shown in the US. The missing part - check it out on imdb - takes place when Roy Scheider's wife, rushing to the TV studio with the tape, drives into a back alley with patrol cars on her tail: there, she skids into a wall on two wheels, bangs the roof of her car, then resumes her crazy run as the patrol cars slam into each other"

So, it seams there is a cut afterall.

Does anyone knows about R2 2005 edition - cut or not?

I would buy R1 SE for extras (R2 has none!) and for the superb artwork over the artwork of R2 cover.

But R2 edition is MUCH cheaper.
    And if R2 is un-cut version - it wouldn't be so easy anymore to name the winner, R1 SE or R2.

Please help, thank you!

3. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

The "good bit" you refer to is only a few seconds long and was intentionally cut out by John Badham before the film's theatrical release because he felt it was too over-the-top. So it's not really "missing." However, this minor extension is shown in the deleted scenes section of the "Ride With The Angels" documentary. It also appears in the theatrical trailer and, apparently, the TV and international versions.

I know I'm biased, but I would suggest picking up the R1 SE.

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Filip,

the R2s feature the same (shorter) cut, both the regular and the special edition (which has been released in some countries, e.g. Germany). I've seen them both and checked the scenes in question.

So you might as well get Charlie's SE and make the man happy. [​IMG]

5. M

M Stunt Coordinator

Thanx guys.
    In that case, Charlie, I don't care about missing bit.
    I saw it on TV (I'm in Europe) and I thought it's the same version as theatrical release.
    So ok, I think I'll buy R1 SE - UNLESS someone heard something about releasing the R2 special edition version (for UK) SOON?

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    That bit with the car stunt was on the UK video version for years, I still have it somewhere. But it's missing from the three DVD releases I own of Blue Thunder, R1 - R2 - R1 sp.ed. And I doubt a future UK release of the sp.ed will reinstate it. You can see a clip of it in the documentary on the special edition and it's also on the trailer. [​IMG]

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I have no idea why this isn't out yet, the extras have been classified by the BBFC way back in January. Haven't heard anything either.