SPHE Press Release: Black Hawk Down: Extended Cut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    RIDLEY SCOTT AND JERRY BRUCKHEIMER’S ACADEMY AWARD®WINNING MASTERPIECE AVAILABLE IN AN ALL-NEW EXTENDED CUT

STARRING JOSH HARTNETT, EWAN MCGREGOR, TOM SIZEMORE AND ERIC BANA

BLACK HAWK DOWN:
    EXTENDED CUT

Available on DVD June 6

Culver City, Calif. (March 27, 2006) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the extended cut DVD of the Academy Award®-winning film Black Hawk Down June 6, just in time for Father’s Day. From Oscar®-nominated Director Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Hannibal) and Emmy®-winning producer Jerry Bruckheimer (TV’s “The Amazing Race,” Pearl Harbor, Armageddon), Blackhawk Down: Extended Cut has been completely digitally remastered for the best quality picture and sound and features eight additional minutes of footage. Black Hawk Down: Extended Cut will be available on a single disc DVD for an SRP of $19.94.

Based on Mark Bowden’s best-selling book, “Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War,” the film won two Academy Awards in 2002 for “Best Film Editing” and “Best Sound” and details the ill-fated U.S. Army humanitarian mission in Somalia on October 3, 1993. Josh Hartnett (Sin City, Pearl Harbor), Ewan McGregor (Star Wars Episodes I-III, Big Fish, Moulin Rouge), Tom Sizemore (Pearl Harbor, Saving Private Ryan), Eric Bana (Munich, Hulk), William Fichtner (Ultraviolet, The Perfect Storm), Ewen Bremner (Match Point, Snatch) and Sam Shepard (The Notebook, All The Pretty Horses) star as an elite force of U.S. Army Rangers and Delta Force soldiers in this dramatic war epic.

Blackhawk Down was a box office hit when it was released in December 2001, grossing more than $100 million. Recounting the true story of a war waged in Mogadishu, Somalia, Black Hawk Down delivers an intense, detailed account of a mission gone disastrously wrong. The film depicts events that occurred on October 3, 1993, when a group of more than 100 U.S. Army Rangers and Deltas dropped into Somalia to complete a covert operation. Their assignment is to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord whose corrupt regime has led to the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Somalis. But when the simple exercise goes catastrophically array, the men find themselves outnumbered and literally fighting for their lives, locked in a desperate battle against a large force of heavily-armed Somalis.

DVD BONUS Features

PBS Presents: “Frontline: Ambush in Mogadishu” with Interactive Mission Map/Timeline
    Eight minutes of additional footage
    Completely digitally remastered for the best possible picture and sound

Directed by Oscar-nominated Ridley Scott and produced by Emmy-winner Jerry Bruckheimer, Black Hawk Down: Extended Cut is unrated and has a run time of 151 minutes. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog #: 10864
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-10864-6
    DVD Order Date: 5/4/06
    DVD SRP: $19.94

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Seems redundant. I don't remember if the PBS documentary is on the 3-disc set, but I'm sure the eight minutes are just cobbled together from the deleted scenes.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    This is one of my top favorite war films. But, I'll pass on buying this in hopes that it will be out shortly on hi-def dvd.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm pretty sure that the Frontline episode is on the 3-disc set.

I'll try to figure out what's new here.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    seeing as it's extende, as opposed to Directors preffered cut, I'll pass.

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

How many times are they going to release this film to DVD?!

7. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Having purchased this film twice on DVD already (and previously having to decide whether or not to purchase the Superbit edition, which I passed on), there's no way I'm buying this.

On top of that, with Blu-Ray right around the corner, c'mon Sony. Do you think we're dumb?

8. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

The PBS documentary is indeed on the three-disc set. Speaking of which, that is the last time I am buying this film. The audio/video looked just fine, the extras were great and the film, which I like a great deal, is long enough at 143 minutes.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah I don't see how they can claim "Completely digitally remastered for the best possible picture and sound". This is a new film, not a catalog title.

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

That should of been the Superbit, shouldn't of it?

Also, about these 8 minutes. I watched all the content on the 3 disc set, other than the commentaries. no where do I remember Scott complaining about haveing to cut the film for ratings/length.

this stinks of money grab, as opposed to an artistic decision.

11. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

You got that right. You mean they actually have something we didn't already get on the 3-disc edition?

Triple-dip anyone? Not me. If folks would just refuse to bite on offerings like this, maybe, just maybe, Sony might actually consider releasing some older new to DVD films instead. There's still plenty of worthwhile stuff they control that has not so far seen the light of a DVD day.

12. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Maybe they got it ready for release on Blu-ray and just decided to release a down-rez'ed version for sd-dvd?

I think I'll stick with my 3-discer and Superbit...

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I can't image this movie looking any better than it does on standard DVD - the Superbit version looks phenomenal.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Keeping my Superbit. NO reason to upgrade. Thanks but not no thanks Sony [​IMG]

15. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Interesting, announcing this after the recent 50GB Blu-ray "announcement."