SPHE Press Release: Bewitched: The Complete Fourth Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York and Agnes Moorhead
    Are Back in Bewitching Mode

BEWITCHED:
    THE COMPLETE FOURTH SEASON

All 33 Emmy®-Nominated Episodes Arrive on DVD October 24

Culver City, CA (August 14, 2006) – With the twitch of a nose, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings back the timeless comedy Bewitched: The Complete Fourth Season, debuting on DVD October 24. Nominated for five Emmy® Awards for this season (including Outstanding Comedy Series), the DVD includes all 33 episodes in a four-disc set and will be available for $39.95 SRP.

While the enduring appeal of Bewitched was heightened by strong writing and clever sight gags, it was the brilliant characters crafted by an unusually talented cast that ensured the show’s place in history as a television classic. All the favorite characters are back for the fourth season, including Elizabeth Montgomery as the bewitching Samantha (and her wacky cousin Serena), Dick York as her hapless husband Darrin, Agnes Moorhead as the nightmare mother-in-law Endora, Erin Murphy as twitchy Tabitha, Paul Lynde as wacky Uncle Arthur, Marion Lorne in her Emmy® Award-winning role as daft Aunt Clara, Bernard Fox as the pompous Dr. Bombay, Sandra Gould as the Stephenes’ nosy neighbor Gladys Kravitz and George Tobias as her harried husband Abner.

The fourth season contains such classic episodes as Samantha being named Queen of the Witches, Tabitha casting a spell causing all her toys to come alive, Aunt Clara conjuring up Leonardo Da Vinci to paint Samantha’s house, and Samantha demonstrating to Darrin what would happen if everyone knew she was a witch.

The initial episode of Bewitched aired on ABC September 17, 1964, and became an instant hit with critics and audiences, ultimately airing 256 episodes over eight seasons. Produced and directed by William Asher (TV’s “I Love Lucy,” “Gidget”), Bewitched was nominated for 22 Emmy Awards® over the course of its run, winning three.

DVD Special Features Include:
    •Digitally Remastered in High Definition Audio and Video
    •Full Screen Presentations
    •Audio: English, Spanish, Portuguese
    •Subtitles: Spanish, Portuguese
    •Bonus Previews
    •Closed Captioned

Bewitched: The Complete Fourth Season DVD Episodes Include:

Long Live the Queen
    Toys in Babeland
    Business, Italian Style
    Double, Double, Toil and Trouble
    Cheap, Cheap
    No Zip in My Zap
    Birdies, Bogies & Baxter
    A Safe & Sane Halloween
    Out of Sync, Out of Mind
    That Was No Chick, That Was My Wife
    Allergic to Macedonian Dodo Birds
    Samantha’s Thanksgiving to Remember
    Solid Gold Mother-In-Law
    My, What Big Ears You Have
    I Get Your Nannie, You Get My Goat
    Humbug Not to Be Spoken Here
    Samantha’s Da Vinci Dilemma
    Once in a Vial
    Snob in the Grass
    If They Never Met
    Hippie, Hippie, Hooray
    A Prince of a Guy
    McTavish
    How Green Was My Grass
    To Twitch or Not to Twitch
    Playmates
    Tabitha’s Cranky Spell
    I Confess
    A Majority of Two
    Samantha’s Secret Saucer
    The No-Harm Charm
    Man of the Year
    Splitsville

Broadcast Year: 1966-1967
    Bewitched: The Complete Fourth Season has a run time of approximately 836 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at www.sphepublicity.com.

DVD Catalog # 16240
    UPC Code: 0-43396-16240-2
    Order Date: 9/21/06
    SLP: $39.95

2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Actually, the broadcast year was 1967-1968!

3. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    It's no wonder the DVD cases don't have the correct pictures as they also list BW having 256 episodes when in reality it was 254...what idiots...

4. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

5. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    How odd that they have a different picture...and it's STILL not the right season! That picture of EM is from the Third...and frankly, I'd rather have the other picture that we've seen...this one looks weird.

EDIT: Joe over at HarpiesBizarre.com pretty much figured out why this new cover looks so weird...they've pretty much copy and pasted EM's face on to her body from a different photo!! WTF??!

This is the photoshoot they got her face from:

[​IMG]

And this is the photo they got her body and most of her hair from:

[​IMG]

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Too weird! It's not like there's no publicity shots of EM from EVERY season that they could be using. Dumb dumb dumb...don't they know the difference?

7. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David

Nope, and they're proving their ignorance once again with the choice of a picture on the back of the box. The bottom photo is a still shot from Season Seven during the Salem episodes!!!

[​IMG]

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The previous picture was INFINITELY better than the newer one. Even if it was a 1st season pic, it wasn't weird-looking like this one. Give me solemn, sexy Sam anyday over scary, serial-killer-smiling Sam. Eeeewwww.

9. Caitlin-A

Caitlin-A Auditioning

Actually, they used her face from this photo.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can tell in the new image because they left part of her hair from the original photo (of her face) in it. On her forehead and over her cheek is her hair from the original season 3 photo. I'd never thought the day would come when I'd see a photo of Liz that I thought looked like crap. This pasted together image is a fine example. It just doesn't seem right. In fact, it's downright creepy! What was wrong with the original image they used of her body? So she looks a bit "moody" in that photo. It's better than creepy. Also, why is the season 1 photo still on the side of the box? I hope they go back to that one. At least, it's not a photochopped image.

10. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Only one more season after this for me. I will stop collecting with the completion of Dick York years. After that it seemed most of the shows were remakes of the first five years.

11. Caitlin-A

Caitlin-A Auditioning

That's sad. Is it because you honestly just didn't like Dick Sargent as Darrin or is the remake really the reason why? Personally, I think Dick Sargent did the best he could. He wasn't Dick York, so therefore he couldn't fill his shoes in that respect. And so what if they replaced Darrin in the last three seasons. Who cares? Elizabeth looked smokin' in those years. That is reason alone to buy the dvds and watch the later seasons.

As for the remakes there wasn't as many remakes as you think there were. Have a look at the site below. It will tell you which really were remakes.
    http://www.harpiesbizarre.com/plotisfamiliar.htm

12. GlennWD

GlennWD Stunt Coordinator

Im still on the fence as to wether or not I will continue to buy the season sets after the Dick York years. I just didn't like Dick Sargent, he just did not work in the part in my opinion, he was no match to Dick York. But we will see, I am a completest so I will probably end up buying them all. I wish there were more extras on these sets though.

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I can understand the desire to stop with the York episodes, but I'll get them all. There's a few episodes in each of the Sargent seasons that I really enjoy (Samantha's Old Man and Serena's Youth Pill to name only two.)

Plus, I loved the redecorated house, the sound effects and the music cues of the last couple of seasons.

14. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I am one who didn't like DS very much but I will be buying the whole series simply for EM. Yes, a lot of DS' episodes were remakes, especially the 8th season which was about 2/3 all remakes but there are still some very funny ones among the bunch.

Knowing that there will be many anti-DS people who won't buy the last three seasons I'm hoping that Sony will start putting extras on those discs that will give incentive to buy them such as the cast commercials, the ABC commercials, samples of the original sponsor openings and all.

But if chopped up pictures of EM are any indication of what's in the future I suppose that won't happen.

15. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I wonder if the show would have worked better if they had killed the Darrin character and had Dick Sargent play someone else who meets and falls in love with Samantha . Of course Elizabeth was pregnant at the time of the change so
    they would have had to wait or shoot around her. On the other hand they would have had more ideas and new situations to write about.
    Hard to tell if Dick Sargent or the decline in writing is the reason for my dislike of the last three years. They happened at the same time.

Also reruns of Bewitched were on ABC Daytime while the show was still in production. You could see the original version while the inferior remake was shown at night.

In my opinion, if they were running out of ideas they should have hired new writers, made a big change in Samantha's life to create something new to write about, or just ended the show rather then repeat plots.. Until the 8th season, the show was still popular so they continued it . I believe they had a contract to continue past season 8, but Elizabeth pulled the plug.

16. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    You can really see the deterioration of the writing in the last half of the fifth season, when York had left and they were scrambling to get many Darrin-less scripts up to snuff. They never quite recovered. It's like all of sudden they realized they could settle for the easy, bad jokes, and they just kept up that script ethic from then on, with some exceptions of course. Suddenly bad vaudeville punch lines replaced the quality writing that they had worked for earlier. And they stopped writing the relationships. No more scenes like Darrin & Endora sharing a cry at Tabatha's birth; now it was just the some old tired insults being hurled back and forth. How many times did Darrin call Endora Madame DeFarge anyway? Ah well. I'd still rather watch bad Bewitched than bad any-other-show.

I HAVE to get the 7th Season just to see This Little Piggie which never ceases to crack me up. The sight of Darrin with that pig's head squealing on cue to Sam's Colonel Brigham's Ribs jingle is one of my all-time favorite scenes in the entire series.

17. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I'm in the "probably won't buy the DS seasons. I just didn't think the show worked well without D.Y. in that role. Interesting idea from Gary if they had tried it (Sam meeting someone else after Darrin passed). We'll never know but my guess is that it would have worked for at least 2 seasons. I have other reasons for not liking the later seasons other than D.S. in the replacement role. I just felt that the earlier ones were better. Seems like the majority of TV series' seem to be that way; the earlier seasons are the best ones. I'm still viewing S1; almost done. S2 & 3 are waiting on the runway shelf.

18. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Here are some reasons Why I love the Dick Sargent years.

(I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this here, but someone already brought up this topic in this thread, so I'm just responding to it.)

Part of the fun for me in watching "Bewitched are the drastic changes that take place from the first season to the last such as:

the clothes: Liz went from sweet innocent in tweed dress and heels; to hot mama in choker, hot pants and boots. (Went bra-less, too!)

the hairstyles: In the beginning, Liz had perfectly coifed hair, and towards the end of the show she had longer blonder straight hair. Louise Tate went from black hair to red-head.

the set changes: (This was already mentioned by another poster) The house was redecorated in season 7. Darrin got a new office, too.

the cast changes: Esmerelda and a new baby! Plus Tabitha is growing up, and she's NOT an obnoxious or too cutesy child actor. Very natural little actress.

The episodes: There are some Dick Sargent episodes that are fun. "Serena Stops the Show" where Serena sings and dances with special guest stars Boyce and Hart! "The Salem Saga" is the first time the cast leave the Hollywood studios and back lots, and shoot several episodes on location in Salem, Massachusetts, and surrounding areas.

There's more reasons, but I'm getting tired of typing now. lol Feel free to add your own.
    I hope everyone will continue to support this show.

19. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David

I agree with all you said, Ron....with the exception of the addition of Esmeralda. Though I really like Alice Ghostley I just don't really enjoy Esmeralda.

After I read your post it got me to thinking about the DS episodes and which ones I really like. Turns out there are many more than I thought there would be! They include:
    (the ones in bold are ones that are my absolute all time favorites..the others I just really enjoy)

#171: “Samantha and the Beanstalk”
    #172: “Samantha’s Yoo-Hoo Maid”
    #174: “Samantha’s Curious Cravings”
    #175: “And Something Makes Four”
    #178: “A Bunny for Tabitha”
    #180: “Daddy Comes for a Visit”
    #181: “Darrin the Warlock”
    #187: “The Phrase is Familiar”
    #188: “Samantha’s Secret is Discovered”
    #189: “Tabitha’s Very Own Samantha”
    #192: “Serena Stops the Show”
    #196: “A Chance on Love”
    #198: “Mona Sammy”
    #199: “Turn on the Old Charm”
    #200: “Make Love, Not Hate”
    #202: “Salem, Here We Come”
    #203: “The Salem Saga”
    #204: “Samantha’s Hot Bedwarmer”
    #205: “Darrin on a Pedestal”
    #207: “Samantha’s Bad Day in Salem”
    #208: “Samantha’s Old Salem Trip”
    #210: “Samantha’s Old Man”
    #211: “The Corsican Cousins”
    #214: “Mother-in-Law of the Year”
    #217: “The Return of Darrin the Bold”
    #219: “Samantha and the Troll”
    #221: “Mixed Doubles”
    #225: “Sam’s Pychic Pslip”
    #228: “Samantha and the Antique Doll”
    #229: “How Not to Lose Your Head to King Henry VIII” (part 1)
    #230: “How Not to Lose Your Head to King Henry VIII” (part 2)
    #231: “Samantha and the Loch Ness Monster”
    #233: “Bewitched, Bothered and Baldoni”
    #235: “The Ghost Who Made a Specter of Himself”
    #237: “A Plague on Maurice and Samantha”
    #239: “The Warlock in the Gray Flannel Suit”
    #240: “The Eight Year Itch Witch”
    #242: “Adam, Warlock or Washout”
    #244: “Samantha is Earthbound”
    #247: “Serena’s Youth Pill”
    #248: “Tabitha’s First Day of School”
    #251: “School Days, School Daze”
    #252: “A Good Turn Never Goes Unpunished”