Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    Take a Fantastic Journey with NASA and JPL Scientists
    to an Inhabited Planet Seven Light Years Away!

George Lucas, Stephen Hawking, Craig Venter, Jack Horner Featured
    in Stunning Computer-Animated Special Arriving on DVD August 16

Culver City, CA (June 6, 2005) – Take a fascinating journey to another world seven light years away in Alien Planet, debuting on DVD August 16 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Discovery Global Licensing. Alien Planet explores the theory that life really exists outside our solar system and visits with its spectacular and curious alien inhabitants. Bonus features include insightful interviews with filmmaker George Lucas (Star Wars, Indiana Jones trilogy) and top scientists Stephen Hawking (“A Brief History of Time”), Craig Venter (leading researcher and biologist) and Jack Horner (foremost paleontologist and technical consultant on the Jurassic Park trilogy). The Alien Planet DVD will sell for $19.94 SLP.

Based on author/artist Wayne Barlow’s acclaimed novel Expedition to Darwin IV, Alien Planet merges science and futuristic simulation to create a dramatic virtual mission to the “newly discovered” (fictional) planet, Darwin 4. Alien Planet’s NASA consultants used the latest scientific research from real-life exploratory endeavors such as the NASA Origins Program, the NASA/JPL Planet-Finder Mission, and the European Space Agency's Darwin Project to design the planet, the probes and the surveying spacecraft, as well as the various animals “inhabiting” Darwin 4. The exciting mission was then brought to vivid life via state-of-the-art computer animation and visual effects from the creative team behind the Emmy Award®-nominated When Dinosaurs Roamed America.

The story unfolds when Darwin 4 is identified as an environment capable of supporting life, and Earth sends an unmanned pilot mission consisting of a “mother ship’ and three probes to find and assess any life forms found. Initially, the expectation was to find microscopic life, but the probes soon find themselves in the middle of a developed ecosystem teeming with diversity and life of all sizes. It appears that life on Darwin 4 is bigger, faster and more dangerous than anyone ever imagined.

Alien Planet premiered on Discovery Channel on May 14, 2005 with significant marketing support and awareness. In 2004, Discovery, which reaches 89 million U.S. households, was ranked the #1 Top Media Brand by EquiTrend Surveys. Alien Planet is one of Discovery Channel’s most highly touted and strongly marketed specials and is timed perfectly to benefit from the excitement generated by Discovery’s 20th Anniversary Celebration.

DVD Special Features
    •50 minutes of interviews with noted scientists Stephen Hawking, Craig Venter, Jim Garvin, Jack Horner and Michio Kaku

DVD Specs

Not Rated
    Running Time: 88 minutes
    DVD Cat #: 10527
    UPC Code: 1404977147
    DVD Order Date: 7/7/05
    SLP: $19.94
  2. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Sep 5, 2000
    Apparently Sony has botched up another new release. According to DVDTalk this is not anamorphic, even though it has an AR of 1.78. The copy I bought is going back unopened. I can see no PQ advantage over non-HD satellite.
  3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Oct 14, 2002
    If that's true, I'm lucky that I got the HD airing on DVR from DiscoveryHD. They've played it dozens of times. I'll wait for a couple more reviews.

On a side note, I've got the book it's based off of, "Expidition," and it's pretty neat. The author and artists is Wayne Barlowe, who's "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials" was an awesome visual guide to the beasts and races of science fiction novels. According to his entry at Wikipedia, he's also been involved in the creature designs for a bunch of movies like "Galaxy Quest" and the "Harry Potter" films.
  4. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Mar 4, 2000
    Jeff Robertson
    Can anyone tell me why, at this point in time, a widescreen presentation would *not* be anamorphic? Surely, it was not a cost saving decision.

I picked up the disc also but figured the lack of the word "anamorphic" on the packaging was just a goof, as Sony has always been a good supporter of it.