What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: 1776 (1972) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Okay, I just know I'll get slammed for this, but I've always considered 1776 - the movie, utterly inferior to the brilliant stage show. Saw a revival of the show in '89 also and was absolutely bowled over by its staying power and strength. The movie, somehow, never rose to the occasion. I don't know why. Lots of good stuff in it. But it just didn't come together as it should. I think at some level, production values were compromised. Had it been a musical of the mid-60's I have no doubt it would have been a grander road show occasion. As it stands, it has flashes and glimmers of the stage show's greatness but never consistently hammers home the goods. Just an opinion. Don't hate me for it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, I just know I'll get slammed for this, but I've always considered 1776 - the movie, utterly inferior to the brilliant stage show. Saw a revival of the show in '89 also and was absolutely bowled over by its staying power and strength. The movie, somehow, never rose to the occasion. I don't know why. Lots of good stuff in it. But it just didn't come together as it should. I think at some level, production values were compromised. Had it been a musical of the mid-60's I have no doubt it would have been a grander road show occasion. As it stands, it has flashes and glimmers of the stage show's greatness but never consistently hammers home the goods. Just an opinion. Don't hate me for it.

Nick,

I am one of the biggest fans of this film and I certainly don't hate you for that opinion.

Partly related/unrelated: I saw the '98 Broadway revival with Brent Spiner and Pat Hingle, and while I loved it, it was strange to see different actors in the iconic movie roles.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
If you are referring to the version originally released in cinemas, I couldn't agree more. If you are referring to the laserdisc version, I disagree. I saw the original Broadway show, and I definitely preferred Betty Buckley, who's Martha would inspire a man to do almost anything, compared to the rather dull and almost dreary Martha of Blyth Danner. I also saw the Philadelphia Bicentinnial open-air production, which, in addition to having a marvelous cast, also had the distinction of having the real Independence Hall as its backdrop. I've seen many stage productions of it, that I really liked. There is just something so great about seeing it performed live. Strangely, I did not like the production you saw, nor another one I saw at Ford's Theatre, several years ago. I love the film, best, as it is presented on the Pioneer Laserdisc release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For one, I am too, too late to this discussion.

Ted: It is wonderful to be reading posts from you again.

I met William Daniels outside the Mark Taper Forum once and complimented him on "1776". He thanked me and recommended that I watch "Saint Elsewhere". Very nice man (and a beautiful wife as well).

And I can never let a discussion on 1776 and William Daniels go by without re-posting this opening sequence from a 1986 episode of St. Elsewhere (I always love it when disparate places in my universe of favorite things come crashing together!):

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Agree completely that Buckley should have done the film if they were going to get almost all of the other original cast members. Danner's Martha makes very little impression by comparison IMO just based on voice alone.

I've seen four live stage productions over the decades. The 1997 Broadway revival, two Paper Mill Playhouse productions (1988, 2009) and yet the best live one I saw was at the Bickford Theater, Morristown, NJ in 1996.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
For all the musical lovers on this site why is there no thread on the May release of Flower Drum Song? I thought this would be big but nobody cares.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For all the musical lovers on this site why is there no thread on the May release of Flower Drum Song? I thought this would be big but nobody cares.
There will be a thread once the Amazon Pre-order link is active and Ron posts the preorder thread. Until then there is this thread:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Thanks. As I've noted it is announced on blu-ray.com but nothing about the soundtrack. You think they would have noted that. Now I'm going to check if their 4K 1776 release information notes that it is in 5.1 stereo as it does on this site.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
BTW, I recommend that all "1776" fans take a look at this great short film that was done in 1976 for showing at the Franklin Court Museum in Philadelphia in which Howard da Silva reprises his role as Franklin. It played there until the 1990s and works as as a perfect companion piece to "1776".

Where it was filmed.

Attachments

• Franklin.jpg
    Franklin.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 9

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I Suppose you know that Howard DeSilva was not in the opening night cast of 1776 because he suffered a heart attack shortly before the opening. Therefore he is not on the original cast album. He did return to the cast as soon as he recovered. Rex Everhart played the role initially.

Also during the 50s da Silva was named as a communist which affected his career seriously. I always knew this.
But I didn't know until very very recently who the person was who named him. It was Robert Taylor which was pretty shocking to me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I Suppose you know that Howard DeSilva was not in the opening night cast of 1776 because he suffered a heart attack shortly before the opening. Therefore he is not on the original cast album. He did return to the cast as soon as he recovered. Rex Everhart played the role initially.

Also during the 50s da Silva was named as a communist which affected his career seriously. I always knew this.
But I didn't know until very very recently who the person was who named him. It was Robert Taylor which was pretty shocking to me.
DaSilva was dedicated. He played all 4 previews set aside for critics after his heart attack before going to the hospital. So critics saw his performance. He did not perform on the official opening night and as you said he was not on the original cast recording because that was recorded about a week after opening night .

Here he is in Verna: USO Girl as the comic/ MC about 6 years after the movie 1776.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Being that I grew up with the obc he's the voice I have in my head for Franklin.

Saw him in the original Broadway production of Chicago.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Kids these days have Batman and Spiderman. When I was a kid, I had John Adams. Yesterday, I got to meet my hero.

Attachments

• 11D17B98-CCF7-46C0-AC76-56E35C54014C.jpeg
    11D17B98-CCF7-46C0-AC76-56E35C54014C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 5AD9FF78-FECE-4790-98F3-837AE89E1E05.jpeg
    5AD9FF78-FECE-4790-98F3-837AE89E1E05.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Interesting that an extreme right conservative like Warner who would cut Cool Cool Considerate Men at the bidding of Nixon would want Da Silva in the film instead of replacing him with Everhart.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
You DO know, Joe, that he only pretended to be John Adams...right?!? :D

That's awesome. Was he in good spirits?
He seemed to be. He wasn't super energetic, but was getting around by himself and his autograph showed great motor skills and much better handwriting than mine. It's just amazing that he's 94 or 95 and could do two full days of comic con activities. There was a line to see him and most were there for Knight Rider or his post-70s tv series. He didn't even have any 1776 stills, so I am glad a brought my blu-ray. I wish I had the new 4K edition though. Sure do hope I have his health.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Interesting that an extreme right conservative like Warner who would cut Cool Cool Considerate Men at the bidding of Nixon would want Da Silva in the film instead of replacing him with Everhart.
I wouldn't say that's accurate about Warner, but Da Silva was marvelous in the role. I think it's indicative that the great Hollywood producers, whatever their other issues, know talent and how to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks