What's new

SPHE - Bad Girls of Film Noir Vols 1 and 2 (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Excellent! Put me down for both volumes.......

A big 'ol to Michael and Sony for continuing to pump out these sets of vintage movies on good old fashioned pressed discs.

Sony easily earns my vote for studio of the year when it comes to DVD releases.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
On the subject of Sony/Columbia - How about a Frank Capra set with his late 1920's/Early 1930's Colpix films? TCM is running them this month,BTW! Heck, they've run most,if not all of them atleast once or twice in the last year!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Love the movies in the set.Not so wild about the cover art.Something that came from the movies in the set would have been nice.I will still buy .

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
yeesh... that cover is TERRIBLE.

I think the only decent art work that Sony's done since the shift towards these classic genre/studio/director sets has been the Icons of Horror collections. I don't understand why they can't source some original promo cards/posters/art or at least something that doesn't look like a FAKE COVER that a kid photoshopped... which is EXACTLY what this looks like!

As excited as I am for these releases, nice looking packaging adds even more to my enthusiasm for upcoming releases. I wish that Sony would simply employ more talented/creative artists since it's obvious from all accounts, criticisms and feedback that the general consensus is Sony Classics = Horrible Cover Designs!

Why not put more effort into packaging terrific films/products with something more befitting of the quality within the box so that consumers can throw one hundred percent of their support and appreciation into these releases...

...Mike S.?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
That said, THANK YOU for the inclusion of the Ford Theatre episodes!!

The Payoff (1943) is directed by the talented Arthur Dreifuss and I'm really looking forward to checking it out!

Now if only the cover were fixed, this would be the ultimate package of the new year!

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Seriously...for what they are selling these for and the fact they are even coming out in the first place I wouldn't be worrying about a silly cover. It's about the content as once it goes on the shelf you won't even see it. More applause and less moaning, no wonder studios say screw it; collectors are never happy.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
First we have demands that cartoon shorts be included, now the cover art is unacceptable and needs to be "fixed"?

What next?

Unbelievable. I wouldn't blame Mike Schlesinger for avoiding this forum like the plague.

FWIW, I'd prefer original poster art but have no problem with what they're going with.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
When i said i didn't like the cover,i meant i didn't like the cover. My opinion,my right.I also added i love the film content and i would buy.People who have a problem with that have a problem themselves.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't referring to your comments.

Did I quote you or mention you by name?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't understand the people that get so defensive when somebody complains about cover art. Like most of the people on this forum, the artwork won't stop us from buying a great set because we want the content so badly. The concern with bad artwork is that the set won't get enough support in the market place and then we won't see future sets. This is why marketing exists and why all product aren't simply put in the plain brown packaging.

For my two cents, the artwork is horrible. Will it stop me from buying them? - NO!!!!! If I wasn't familiar with this set and saw it sitting on a shelf, would I pick it up and investigate further? - NO!!!!!

Keep the releases coming Sony, I will continue to support them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't watch cover art. I watch DVDs. They can just put the title on the spine and leave everything else blank as far as I'm concerned.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
If those photoshopped covers are the only way to get shelfspace, so be it. I'd buy the stuff anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

I don't understand the people that get so defensive when somebody complains about cover art.
I don't get defensive over the situation but I do just roll my eyes and think that some people will complain about anything just so they have something to say. And if I think that as a collector, I can imagine that a 'regular' person working for a studio would think the same thing and they may lump any constructive criticism in a thread in with the nitpicking.

Admittedly, after more than a decade of non-stop complaints from the internet as a whole, I don't think this one thread or anything in it is going to drive a studio away from the internet but I doubt complaints about the cover raises anyone's opinion of message boards either.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I will repeat.I am very happy they are putting out the set.I will buy the set when it comes out.I have bought almost all of the recent columbia sets and have been very pleased. When i mentioned that i thought the artwork wasn't very good it was just an offhand remark.Nothing more nothing less.I didn't think anyone would take offense.Go figure.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You know, I never looked at the artwork until just now after reading all these comments as the artwork is not of the upmost importance to me. Like someone else mentioned, it could be blank case with just the name on it and I will buy it (although it is a nice plus if the artwork looks nice).

That being said, and as someone who has some background in marketing, that cover is not the way to market a product such as this. It really looks like a cheap public domain release from one of those fly by night DVD companies, I would walk right by it if I saw it on the shelf at a store. I say this only because I really want sets like this to sell well and I would hate to see bad marketing decisions hurting it's chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks