What's new

Spending up to 600 USD on a new system (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to get 2 bookshelves, 5.1 or 6.1 receiver, and a sub for this amount of money that will be worth keeping and upgrading through the next few years.

Currently I'm looking at Polk RTi38s for about 250, a Yamaha HT-5630 receiver for about 200 and either a WM500 or WX700 Sony sub.

What changes would you guys make to this setup?

ANY advice is HIGHLY appreciated as I'm very new to this market.:D

PS the speakers will be used in a dorm room until june then a slightly larger bedroom the next. They will be used for my PC and for my PS2.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I would consider a pair of JBL S38IIs. I just replaced my front mains with these and love them. While they are recommended to be placed horizontally, I have them vertical and they sound wonderful. They are also quite large and sturdy - at nearly 30 pounds a piece, you need sturdy support. They provide deep, tight bass and, at the same time, crisp highs and a clean, detailed sound. Your mileage may vary depending on your room's size/accoustics, but in my smallish room, they sound amazing.

They can be found at Amazon.com or Onecall.com for less than half of their original $600 list. They are part of JBL's now discontinued, but very well-regarded Studio series.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
That doesnt damage or affect the speakers at all? (placing them vertically)

On audioreview.com the reviews are very mixed about these speakers. That has me worried since they are discontinued and might be hard to return/service?

Any other suggestions? Anyone know about the Panasonic SA XR-25 its one of their ultraslim receivers. I am not sure if its as good as the yamaha but it definitely doesnt take up as much room!

RubenS

Auditioning
I was in the same boat... This is the setup I got.

Onkyo HT-R510 6.1 Receiver (Part of HT-S760 Package, Refurbished from Ecost.com) $165 Shipped
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Bookshelf Speakers $368 Shipped
Dayton 10" SUB from Parts Express $125 Shipped

So, the total system came out to be $658.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I wont be able to do it myself, so dayton sub is out of the question...How good is that receiver? Pretty good?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

No. Ruben meant that you can get a *complete* 10" subwoofer from Parts Express for $125 - shipped. Not just the driver and not just the kit, but the fully assembled subwoofer with cabinet and amp.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Are these pretty good? They dont have the auto-off do they? if so there arent any issues with it turning off prematurely are there?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
how do you know of this sub? i cant seem to find any reviews and as its my first system I'm slightly trepidatious to buy without someone saying something good about the product from listening or experience.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I've got a couple of the SRS subs coming in tomorrow. I will let everyone know how they handle music and HT. We could either have a decent little inexpensive sub, or a "giant-killer."
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks