What's new

Spending a lot of money, opinions please... (1 Viewer)

Gregg_C

Grip
Ok, I've decided to do a wholesale replacement of every home theater component I have. I've got a budget of about 8 g's. Here's my (short) list of components I am considering, paying particular attention to the speakers:

Pioneer Elite Recvr VSX-45TX
Pioneer Elite DVD DV45A
Fronts B&W DM602 S3 (fronts #1)
Rears B&W LM1 (rears)
Center B&W CDM CNT (center #1)
Fronts B&W CDM 1NT (fronts #2)
Center B&W LCR3 (center #2)
Center B&W LCR60 (center #3)
Sub B&W ASW650
Pioneer Elite PRO520HD (RPTV #1)
Mitsubishi Diamond 55909 (RPTV #2)
Samsung hlm507w (DLP)

I'm having a hard time with which line of B&W speakers. I like B&W, I just don't know which line to go with. Don't really want (nor need) to consider other brands at this point, unless you can persuade me otherwise (must be a very good persuasion).

If you want to weigh in on the other components, feel free.

Thanks!

Gregg

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I can't comment on the brands as I have not heard any of them in action, but you may want to think about adding a nice 3 or 5 channel amp. It will take the strain off the 45TX having to power all 7 speakers for you. Even if you only run a 5 speaker setup I would recommend getting one.

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Go with B&Ws CDM series. It combines nautilus technology and sound simply amazing.

If you're looking to save a little Paradigm Reference competes readily against B&Ws line.

Have to agree with getting a separate amp instead. While the reciever may sound close to an amp, the amp will have way more headroom which become relevant with today high volume impact sounding movies and music.

HTadvice.com a site I use frequently, has reviews for both products in their "on products" section.

The Rotel reviewed is a $2000 model which may be too pricey for your budget but I hear the $1000 model Rotel makes offers similar qualities with less wattage. Worth a look. Good luck with your system. It should be very exiting.

Oh, and the reciever, look at Denon as well. THey offer a bit better speaker calibration options and awesome processor/sound quality.

Again, good luck.

Iver

Second Unit
For picture quality, the Pro 520 is a great pick. But those sets will eat up a good bit of $8k on their own (something like five-grand for the 520, six for the 620, seven for the 720, so the 520 would obviously best with your budget).

For features, the Mitsubishi model with integral ATSC tuner and IEEE-1394 (Firewire) connection, forget the model number, is a great set. It was recently reviewed very positively in The Perfect Vision.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I wouldn't worry about an amp now, get the best speakers you can afford. The amp will come later, if you need it.
You could do better on the sub with SVS, HSU, Adire etc...
--
Holadem

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I agree on the Sub. I just completed an EXHAUSTIVE speaker comparison. After much deliberation, I chose B&W CDM 9NT's, as well as the CDM CNT. I already had the B&W LM1's as rears (AWESOME). I listen to a BUNCH of different music, lot's of Rock, Electronic, & Female vocalists (Sarah Mac, Dido, etc). I found the CDM's to be far livelier than most others. I even preferred them to the nautilus 804's, with my music anyway. I like the Pioneer 45, as well as the DV45A. I'm about ready to buy those 2 for my Mom. That DVD player is LOADED, as is the VSX-45TX. It has a room customizable calibration feature that seems neat as well. The Pioneer sounded NICE with the B&W's IMHO. I would pass on the B&W Sub though. You could get an SVS PCi or PC+, or an HSU VTF that would SMOKE IT.

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
A good amp can make a night and day differene with speakers.

It can make cheap speaker sing and great speakers sound even better. Speakers are only as good as what you feed them.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg

I have a Poineer 49TX it's an awesome reciver and the 45TX is comparable to it. I also have a Pioneer Elite 720HD which is just a little bigger than the 520. I spent a huge ammount of time on a HDTV purchase and have seen every brand and model. I found the Pioneer was the best of the best. I have heard the B&W's and a whole host of others but I found I like the M&K' THX speakers the best and that's what I purchased. You might want to give the M&K THX 750's a listen before you buy the B&W's.

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
RPTVs

Pioneer Elite and Mitsubishi's Platinum Plus and Diamond Lines are the best RPTVs out there.

Mitsubishi offer more value since the price is considerably cheaper and offers the same quality picture of the elite.

I went with the mitsubishi personally.

Reasons: price, cost of repair, and the upgrade promise.

Mits offers the only upgrade policy ensuring the HDTV won't become obsolete. More importantly, if you ever have to fix the TV later on in its years, mitsubishi allows peice by peice replacement, whereas Pioneer does module replacement. Meaning a small $200 repair on a mits can run $800 on a pioneer as pioneer want to replace the whole component block.

I was in love with the pioneer elites and was 2 months away from buying one until I happened upon mitsubishi.

I've got 2 other friends who've bought similar models since and we all couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your purchase. Either way you go you'll have a killer setup.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks