What's new

Spencer Tracy on DVD... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So I've been watching the Tracy marathon on TCM all morning and realizing the large absence of many of his Forties features on DVD. Films like "They Gave Him A Gun", "Stanley and Livingstone", "I Take This Woman", The Edison Man", "Tortilla Flat", "A Guy Named Joe", "The Seventh Cross", "The Sea Of Grass", "Edward My Son", etc. Many entertaining movies among 'em, many are Warner properties too. Of course there's also the long-overdue Northwest Passage also...

I wonder if we'll ever see a Spencer Tracy Signature Collection from Warner Bros. with the above films included?

Would anyone else like to see these movies released?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oddly enough I was only reflecting this morning that it's beyond time 'A Guy Named Joe' was available on DVD, and, of course, all the above titles in (at least) one box would be very nice.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE has been on Fox Movie Channel lately and will air again Sept. 28 and Oct. 2.

If the VHS version of THE SEVENTH CROSS was any indication, that film needs a ton of work to get it ready for DVD. Are the elements in bad shape for that title?

FrankXS

Second Unit
Three cheers for a Spencer Tracy Signature Collection...also The Actress, Plymouth Adventure and Malaya could be added to this list of wanted Tracy titles. This goes on my list of most wanted collections from Warner along with a second Gable collection, THE HARLOW COLLECTION, a Robert Taylor collection, the Ginger Rogers/RKO comedy collection etc. Maybe with the 85th Warner celebration ending we will see an emphasis on MGM/RKO titles. How about the rest of Fred Astaire's musicals ? A second Garbo collection ?
And when will we see a much neglected winner from the 1935-1942 period the MacDonald/Eddy musicals ?
So much to choose from !!!!!!!!!!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Frank, your priorities are basically the same as mine.

Clark Gable vol. 2

Ginger Rogers in RKO (and I would not restrict it only to the comedies, since Primrose Path is a favorite of mine, but Vivacious Lady, Bachelor Mother and Tom Dick and Harry are essentials). She was so good in her solo RKO period.

Tracy signature collection (Tortilla Flat, A Guy named Joe, Test Pilot, Keeper of the Flame, Mannequin,Northwest Passage...)

The much antecipated Harlow collection

Garbo vol 2

James Stewart vol 2 (this time focusing more on his early work)

Bob Taylor Collection (so many movies...Waterloo Bridge, Johnny Eager, Billy the Kid, His Brother's Wife, The Bribe, the other noirs and westerns)

Eddy/MacDonald operettas

Lana Turner Collection

John Garfield

and more classic musical from the dream factory, fim noir, forbidden hollywood, gangster. And last, but not least, Davis and Crawford (slated for 2010)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I would very much like to see the aforementioned Warner-owned Tracy titles released, but I'm even more interested in his Fox output from the early to mid-30s, most of which has never been released on any home video format.

Corey

Screenwriter
On the Digital Bits Upcoming Releases, some of the rumored titles for the WHV Tracy set were The Actress, Test Pilot, and Northwest Passage. Add Cass Timberlane, A Guy Named Joe, and Edward, My Son and you've got a great set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

While not nearly on the level as the other great films mentioned, I'd really like to see W.S. Van Dyke's 1937, "They Gave Him A Gun" also.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'd add PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE (perhaps his least sympathtic role) and John Sturges' THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA....and whatever happened to Cukor's THE ACTRESS, once a finalist in one of those TCM polls? By the by, YOUNG AMERICA is coming out as part of the Borzage/Murneau Fox set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks