Speedstep in XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Is there any way to disable Speed Step for mobile Pentiums on laptops with Windows XP? It seems like XP does it automatically. I don't mind it much when I am using batteries, but when I have my Laptop plugged in at home, I want my Pentium III 1,000 to be running at that, and not lower. [​IMG]

2. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Adam,
    I have no personal experience with XP or this processor, but I did a search on both Microsoft and Intel's support sites. Nothing came up from MS, but on Inte's site I found this article which might be of some use.
    Also be sure to read this article entitled "Troubleshooting Guide For Intel® SpeedStep™ Technology".
    Good luck!
    -Brett.

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I have my XP laptop at home so I'm doing this from memory. There is an icon in the Control Panel (I think) that either says Speedstep and/or Power Management (or something like that). You can set different modes so that your computer operates differently depending on whether it's plugged in or running off of batteries. Similarly you can set how long the computer will sit dormant before taking power conservation measures such as turning off your display, hard drive, etc.

4. Curtis Koenig

XP gets the speedstep info from the hardware to turn this off you would have to use a utility from Intel. Windows just reads the info and can not change it.

5. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

What utility from Intel do I need?