What's new

Speed Racer Volume 5 Not Until 2007 (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, David. Sorry, I thought I was reporting a new item regarding this story and thought I'd share it with everyone. I don't get much into blogs as I spend enough time working with my own website on Japanese anime.

At any rate, I'm still waiting for my response from Lions Gate regarding a possible standard DVD release for Volume 5 without that dreaded metal tin. I'm hoping they have plan to release a not-so-limited edition in a standard DVD case.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wow - sorry to see such a classic get raped over the coals like that. I thank god that I got the limited edition set a couple years back - which looks about as good at the new discs, from the samples I've seen.

I weep for the youth.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Now, after reading that blog entry I have to agree with Dave. It's blasphemy the way Lions Gate has handled this series and the release of the last batch of episodes. Their handling over these last few episodes is a slap in the face in the presence of anime fans everywhere. I grew up watching this series back in the early seventies when I was around five years old and I would watch Speed Racer faithfully because back then I didn't know what anime was and I just absolutely love this series. Sure the dialogue was supremely cheesy but I still watch these DVD's till this day.

Leave it Lions Gate to stick the fans for as much money as they can. I just pray to God that they get the license to any more anime out there as it would take them eight years to release a single season of anime epsiodes in a particular series.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mark, rest assured that my "rolling eyes" icon was meant for Lionsgate's release strategy, not for you. :)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Duh - brilliant idea. What The Powers That Be need to do is give it the Macross treatment. Someone like Animeigo liscense the original show from Japan, subtitle it, clean it up and release it in america. Hell - just to sweetn the pot, get Peter Fernandez and Connie Orr to come back in and lay down a dub track too.

I'd buy that in a hot second.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I'll also mention again, like I do every time the subject of Lion's Gate's lousy releases of this classic show comes up, the fact that around half the episodes are time-compressed so the voice and music pitches are too high, that the original Trans-Lux opening credits are nowhere to be found (they could have at LEAST been tacked on as an extra), and that the closing credits look like they were compressed to VCD quality and taped onto low-grade VHS.

And of course, reiterate my vitriol for the exceptionally lousy packaging of Volume 3 and the complete lack of extras on all volumes. We DESPERATELY need Peter and Corrinne commentary and/or interviews! I'm very upset I didn't get my hands on the REAL Limited Edition Collector's Set... :frowning:

Also, it would be nice for the original Japanese language track to be included, along with correctly translated English subtitles, if the footage in both versions is identical, that is. For those in the know, is there any footage omitted from the American version of the show?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Ah! That explains it, David. Sorry, sometimes I keep forgetting my opinions aren't well received sometimes.:D

While I would have prefered the last of the episodes on one final disk the eight episodes don't bother me too much since I pay normally $20 for an anime DVD for four episodes anyway. BUT, I just wish these conpanies would STOP making these limited edition DVD's that are shaped differently than your normal standard DVD case.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you're saying there, Mark. Your opinions are always fine with me! :emoji_thumbsup:

Now, we may agree to disagree when it comes to you saying "the eight episodes don't bother me too much since I pay normally $20 for an anime DVD for four episodes anyway"; that I don't agree with at all (as my blog comments explained).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think Speed Racer is one of those titles where most of us prefer several episodes or more. I'm pretty sure that I agree with you on this last bunch. Generally, I collect a ton of anime DVD's and most DVD's in that genre contain around either 3 or 4 episodes per DVD and most fans don't consider price an option, merely their interest in a title.

I drop $20 on a given anime DVD without thinking twice BUT I generally don't like spending that kind of money on standard DVD's. Don't ask me why ... ehehe ...

Anime used to cost $35 per anime DVD until the formast of DVD's arrived and stores like Best Buy started selling them for a lower price.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks