Speed Racer: The Final Volume Announced

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Well, it looks like we're getting the final volume on October 31st. The only question I have is is Lions Gate plans on releasing a limited edition boxed set collecting the entire series. Any ideas, Gord?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6222

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Resurrecting this thread-

I grew up watching this series too. I had not collected any of the Speed Racer DVD volumes. And doing a search over at DVD Empire, it appears that for some of the earlier sets, they were released by one studio, then another handled the remaining sets. And I see most of these sets are discontinued.

Any new news as to what the deal is with Speed Racer? Perhaps a new box set timed with the new movie, or it's too late and I look via the secondary market?

Also, I did a minimal amount of research, I guess it wasn't a loss that I waited. Those sets were botched, not original episodes, but altered with different beginning and end credits?

3. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Imperfect, but "botched" might be a bit harsh. Some episodes came from sped/time-compessed masters.

The open and end credits are the same as far as the source footage used, but the are different in that new font is used. The show was remastered from the Japanese source footage some years ago, so redoing the English graphics was a necessity. The good news is that the shows look far better than they did back when we watched them as 16mm syndicated prints in the 70s and 80s.

4. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Joe Corey
    it is odd that with the film coming out this summer they wouldn't at least put together a boxset with all five discs.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks for the information Jay. I read a review of one of the sets I think on Amazon and one of the comments was altered credits. What you're saying makes sense and I can live with that, I think.

So it sounds like, with the absense of any new remastered or reworked sets of this series, the current DVD volumes are the best one could find for Speed Racer? I agree with Joe, you'd think they put together a set in time for the new movie.

And what is the reason for time speed compression? I suppose it was mastered that way for broadcast to squeeze in an extra commercial and used for the DVD's. I bought the recent Underdog sets and those were sped up too. That's too bad.