Speed DD 5.0 or typo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kendal Kirk, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from a DVD run at my local Sam's Club and saw Speed in a blow out bin. It states Dolby Digital 5.0 . I am a newbie to DVD, but I was under the impression that Dolby Digital was 5.1 . Is this a type or a flawed product with no LFE that they are trying to get rid of?

2. DanSt

DanSt Stunt Coordinator

Dolby Digital comes in multiple flavors (mmm...). Any Dolby Surround DVD's are usually encoded in Dolby Digital 2.0. Almost every DVD (except some DTS DVD's) have some form of Dolby Digital. Whether it is 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 5.0, or 5.1. If Speed says 5.0 then it has no LFE track. Dolby Digital is basically the encoding (or Audio Codec) used for the audio on DVD's.

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Well, it might just be an error on the cover but off the top of my head, I cant remember if it was 5.1 or 5.0. I thought I remember it in 5.1.
    As for Dolby Digital (allways) being 5.1, this is not true. Dolby Digital comes in many flavors.
    And I must go so Ill leave some other members here to fill in the rest. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

And not having the extra ( .1 ) doesnt mean you lost the bass though. Ussually, that bass is re-directed to the front left & right speakers.
    Make sure they have good bass. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

And just to clear up any concerns, Speed's 5.0 track is anything but shy. I saw this for the first time in ages when the DVD came out, and while I was expecting the cinematography to be impressive (given Jan De Bont's previous career as a DP) the incredibly active sound mix was a revelation.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul