Speed 5 Star Dts Issue No Lfe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe T, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Joe T

Joe T Auditioning

Hi htf members I just saw last night the Speed 5 star disc and noticed while playing the dts soundtrack you had very little lfe action! thank god you could switch audio tracks on the fly the dd version was dramatically more robust and punchier what are your thoughts on this? tried several scenes like the hallway explosion, the bus exploding and the bus hiiting the jet. thanks for the replies.[​IMG]

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

DTS mixes typically need to have the LFE gain raised a bit. Theres a technical term for this, but I forget what it is. Although I didnt do a direct DD to DTS comparison, I didnt feel as though any LFE was missing. FYI - On my receiver, my DTS LFE mix is at +6.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Your LFE setting for DTS and DD should be at the highest position, or else the level of LFE vs. Rerouted bass on your receiver will be incorrect. Though they are often labelled at bit misleadingly: the max position is usually correct for both (labelled as 0 for DD and +10 for DTS)

I thought Speed was a 5.0 title. I was under the impression that all bass on both tracks were in the 5 main channels. Might be incorrect, as I don't own this title yet.

-Vince

PS: I notice, once again, that the terms LFE and BASS are used interchangeably by many on the forum- which is incorrect and adds greatly to confusion.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Vince, I dont have Speed 5 Star yet, but yes, originaly it was 5.0. Both DD and DTS LDs were 5.0 but I think they mixed it to 5.1 to please people wanting their sub to do something. It frustrated a lot of people that an action movie was 5.0....

Dan

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Interesting.

Ironically, with proper system configuration, their sub should be doing "something" regardless of the .1 channel. It's yet another case where software is being altered to appease people who don't know how to use their equipment or enjoy the material as it was intended...

-V

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I think Waterworld raised the same issues for some people. The LD and DVD incarnations retained the 5.0 as I recall.

Dan

7. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Correct! MY DTS Waterworld LD & DVD had no .1 LFE

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, my couch was rambling last night when I was watching Speed 5*/DTS. (No, not all the time, but definitely during the explosions).

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ditto. Plenty of LFE effects on my DTS Speed. My lamp almost fell over![​IMG]

11. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Nice low effects here. I don't know if it's due to full-range mains or an actual LFE, but I'm ok.

Denon 5700, Def Tech towers.

Mike

12. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Hmm... wouldn't this sort of thing happen if the main speakers were incorrectly set to "small" instead of "large" in the receiver's settings?

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The point, as made by Vince remains:

No LFE? Not necessarily a problem.
    No Bass? Something is wrong.

Whether you have full range fronts or use your SW to do the heavy lifting for them, you should be hearing some bass.

If the mix does not need the 10dB of headroom for the low frequencies, then it does not need to use the LFE channel and you can have nice stereo bass.

Regards,

14. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Mega-LFE here.

15. Joe T

Joe T Auditioning

Hi again htf members it seems to me that titles like this which were not theatrically shown in dts have this problem i also experienced the same low lfe action in "tombstone" by the way movies like "the fast and the furious" and "Pearl Harbor" were superb in their dts soundtrack compared to the dd version in my system hk-7000 polk/sub sat system. Has anyone compared the scenes i mentioned and do the dd dts switch?

16. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I have to admit this was one of the rare titles that i favored the DD over the DTS. The DTS sounds a little less dynamic than DD. I generally favor DTS but in this case comparison i'd have to give it to the DD same as on THE ROCK:CC.

17. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I watched this one last night and experienced bus-loads of LFE!!!

18. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

I don't get it.

This has to be one of the best mixed DTS tracks in a movie that I have seen in awhile - when it comes to "bass." Gunshots, the bus exploding etc all had the right "punch" to them. Listening to Lord of the Rings after this movie, with it's preponderance of bass, actually TURNED ME OFF a bit (despite other aspect of this film being superior in ways).

My two cents,

Michael.