What's new

Speculation on 2004 DVD of the Year (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
In light of all the great releases coming in the next few months, I thought it would be interesting to see which title has the inside track to be the DVD of the Year. Sure, most of these titles haven't been released yet, but a little speculation never hurt anyone.

At the moment, I see four titles as the main competitors:
1. Return of the King Extended Edition: The last two years have seen the Lord of the Rings EEs handily trounce all competition. Will the same happen this year? Maybe not- I dearly love all three movies but the formula has been the same for the DVD releases. Time for a change.
2. Star Wars Trilogy: For all the complaints that have and will come, I still bet this release will get a lot of votes from the faithful.
3. Gone with the Wind: This looks like the classic release of the year. Maybe not the ultimate winner, but a contender.
4. Dawn of the Dead super set: The horror fans will probably vote for this one, possibly the biggest release of a horror film ever and for perhaps the most loved horror movie, too.

So, what would you vote for right now? Any contenders left out? I'll probably go for Gone with the Wind myself.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think the scope of the GWTW supplements, the price point, and the fact that the film is an acknowledged classic (not to mention very entertaining) will give that release the leg up for disc of the year.
if the UR transfer is indeed an eye-popper then its a shoo-in.

ROTK EE and the DOTD:UE will probably both be highly satisfying.

SW, by virtue of it containing only the compromised versions of the films will only get unqualified raves from the people who are already pre-disposed to raving about it, and who barely ever saw anything new they didn't like.
for people like me, who would love to love it, its going to be more an exasperating, than fulfilling, release.

personally, i've seen a lot of satisfying releases this year.
they weren't even packed discs, but just terrific a/v presentations of very entertaining, classic films (and tv shows).
many of them qualify for my personal 'discs of the year'.

Ryan*Pr*

Agent

This will most likely be my vote. Even if the formula is the same it doesn't matter to me because I don't see a problem with the formula!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
GWTW is the front-runner, I'd expect, and rightly so.

None of those other films have that pedigree. SW is going to sell better than the other 3, but I cannot see it topping ROTK in terms of presentation of bonus material. Horror films always get screwed.

Take care,
Chuck

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Sure, the three sets will be constructed in a similar manner, but what else are they going to do? The first two were absolutely stellar - they shouldn't alter the formula just for the sake of change. If it ain't broke...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm guessing either the next Looney Tunes 4-disc or Gone With The Wind: 4-disc.

ROTK will be a given, but even Peter Jackson admitted that the films were basically "made for DVD." So, seeing a 4-disc edition of a brand new film is expected. Seeing a 4-disc edition of a 1939 film is a lot cooler.

Although, the Star Wars trilogy is starting to look really neat. I will say this... 2004 at least has a lot of worthy contenders.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It's looking like I'll be going with Star Wars. LOTR has just gotten old. I realy enjoyed the first one, the second one was pretty good too. But the third one didn't really introduce anything new. I enjoyed the completion of the story, but it was so predictable. I think part of the problem was the timing of the tree films. They haven't had enough time in-between films to really want to see another one. I think the Star Wars timeline of 3 years between films was a much better plan.

Star Wars, on the other hand, will be somewhat new to me. I haven't memorized most of it like many of you have. I watched the trilogy with my family a few times on TV/Video when I was young, but I never really paid too much attention to it. Sure, I liked it, but I never really got into the story at all. I wouldn't have even called myself a Star Wars fan until I saw it re-released in theaters. It's when I saw ANH SE in the theater that I finally started to enjoy it. Then I bought the Trilogy SE Widescreen VHS set in 2000, and have watched it through about twice since then. So I have not seen it dozens of times like many of you, but when I did watch it on video 2 years ago I really liked it.

Greg J

Auditioning
Will be close whoever wins.
Be prepared for Star Wars though, from what I have heard so far it will have more special features than any other film released on DVD to date.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't know what you have heard, but we already know what extras are included with Star Wars. And it's all included on one disc, so the amount of them could hardly be any greater than a release that has two discs of extras.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I'd say the best overall DVD release will be ROTK:EE. GWTW may tie with The Passion of the Christ for Video Quality. Star Wars gets the coveted "It's-About-Time-Why-No-Kitchen-Sink???" award.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Fanny & Alexander Box Set: CC

It'll have it all, presentation, 2 versions of the film, supplements, and a documentary that could've been sold seperately.
Not to mention that it's a masterpeice from one of the greatest directors of all time.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this release?

A close second will probably be Gone With The Wind.

I've also got high hopes for Short Cuts: CC and La Dolce Vita

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's SW!

Just the fact, that so many have waited so long!

GWtW, will sure give SW a run for title.

Just about ANY CC release! Even Videodrone.

LotR; TRotK, should certainly be worthy. Just it may carry a been there, done that, feel to it.

How about 2004 being a very good year for some MAJOR releases. And falling short on smaller titles that are near & dear too our hearts, yet do not register has high in the minds of The Big Boys.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The Star Wars Trilogy will surely get some votes, as will the ROTK-EE. But let's not forget Spider-Man 2 dvd, or even the Harry Potter POA. GWTW looks terrific and it's getting great treatment from Warner.
Another Sleeper for dvd of the year could come out in December.
The 40th Anniversary Edition of Mary Poppins. Those tremendous colors, sets, and music should look and sound stellar.
The 10 disc Ultimate Matrix Set will no doubtedly inspire it's fans.

Going to be a great next few months and an $$ one.
smile.gif

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I doubt Star Wars will get best set, but it will probably be right up there with Gone With the Wind for best transfer.

The Matrix set will probably get some nods. So far as I can tell, it's the only set besides the LOTR EE's and the Alien Quadrilogy with similar size and ambition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks