What's new

"Spectacular Science Fiction" Film Festival in Suffern, New York (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Not yet, Malcolm, but I can hope. We are getting a nice amount of advance sales for this one, but with 1000 seats to fill, I don't think we'll sell out.

Dave - looking forward to meeting you, please be sure to introduce yourself!

Pete

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I recently went to this theater and let me say it's gorgeous. I'll deffinately be heading here over Lowes any day of the week. I'm deffinately looking forward to this festival should be lots of fun!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I'll be there next Saturday & Sunday. My 1st time seeing First Men in The Moon, Them, Abbott and Costello Go To Mars & 2001 on the big screen. I saw Forbidden Planet last December at the Lafayette, but who says I can't see it again. Can't wait till next Saturday. :D :D :D :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The Apocalypse couldnt keep me from seeing 2001 this weekend:)

Im gonna try to see Apes as well,but Im not sure if I can.

Is there anything planned to get the HTF people together?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
HTF members - please be sure to track me down and introduce yourself. Ran through Incredible Shrinking Man, First Men in the Moon, Day the Earth Stood Still and Invasion of the Body Snatchers yesterday - the prints are wonderful!

See you there!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to try to make 2001. I'll be coming in from Boston. I think the theater is somewhat close to where I work (Elmsford), certainly closer than where I live (Bklyn).

Can anyone recommend a motel in the area? ;)
I'm seriously considering just staying there overnight.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I endured a flat tire, a race through Sunday traffic across New England and the tri-state, and the expense of a motel room to catch 2001 last night... and it was totally worth it.

The print was gorgeous. The interview and Q&A was fun.

My thanks to the organizers and anyone involved for making my first cinematic experience of my favorite film a good one.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I missed the first two shows on Friday, but from Saturday afternoon on it was one fantastic sci-fi thrill after another, topped off by the finest non-Cinerama presentation of "2001" I've ever seen, and I've seen that movie 47 times in a theater since 1968. But even the Cinerama shows didn't have Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in person, telling great Kubrick stories and taking questions from the audience. Jack Briggs, you shoulda been there (maybe you were?)

Many thanks to Pete Apruzzese, Nelson Page, the Lafayette Theater staff and everyone involved with the festival for all their hard work. Anybody who was there will never forget it.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
I was there for the 2 shows friday night and had such a great time i drove back up for THEM on sat afternoon.What a beautiful theatre and how about that wurlitzer!!The obvious care and love for film was so apparent in every little detail this past weekend.Hats off to Peter,Nelson and the crew!Cant wait till the next time i visit........................dave from jersey

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" But even the Cinerama shows didn't have Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in person, telling great Kubrick stories and taking questions from the audience."

The Q&A was just great. Kubricks my fav director, it was nice to hear those stories.Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood were so gracious.After the Q&A, they walked past me (I was standing in the left aisle taking a pic). I stepped aside and let them pass,as they walked by,both said hello, I said thanks for coming and Keir replied "No thank you"

Pete, I sent u a HTF private message

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I also enjoyed the show last night. For anyone who has not had the opportunity to enjoy the theatre, I can certainly say it is worth the trip.

Unfortunately, family obligations took precedent so I only got to see 2001: A Space Odyssey - but enjoyed taking my boys to the showing. My songs had the opportunity that I got as a kid - to see the film on the big screen (and wonder what the heck is going on ... );)

Some shows that looked interest coming up (perhaps Pete could post a link for some of the other dates):

Sept. 25 Meet Me in St. Louis
October 9 Duck Soup
October 16 The General (with organist)
November 6 Portrait of Jennie - a favorite of mine
November 13 Shadow of a Doubt (another favorite)
December 4 The Sting

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Due to some unforseen problems at the last minute, I could only attend the Saturday showings. But had a wonderful time anyway seeing "First Men in The Moon" & "Them" on the silver screen for the 1st time. The Q & A with Joan Weldon was great. The print for "Forbidden Planet" was beautiful. I've never seen this movie look so good before this. Wish I could have stuck around for THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, but had to catch a train back to NYC right after Forbidden Planet ended.

Wish I could have made Sundays shows as I've yet to see 2001: A Space odyssey on the big screen. Would have loved to have Linda Harrison autograph my "Planet of the Apes" DVD. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

So a big THANK YOU to Peter Apruzzese and all the staff at the Lafayette Theater for a wonderful time.

Joe.

P.S. A suggestion for next years festival Peter. WAR OF THE WORLDS

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Pete was kind enough to let me post some pics from Sundays 2001 screening Q&A. Please be aware that my site is free geocities site. If it crashes from too many views please check back later.

These are only a few pics, Ill have a few more up later tonight.

http://www.geocities.com/tarim69/2001pics.html

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for all of the positive comments. It was a long, very long, weekend, but the audience reaction made it all worthwhile. The shows with the guests were very special and you could feel the "buzz" in the crowd beforehand. It was a thrill to have Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood shake my hand after coming out from 2001 - they left for a brief meal just after the "Moonwatcher" sequence - and thank me for getting such a good print and presenting it with the showmanship level we obtained. Equally thrilling was seeing Dullea go back inside to sit and watch the 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' sequence, we had been chatting in the lobby when he said, "I want to see this." Gary Lockwood was also a delight - full of funny stories about everything.

When they first arrived, you could see they didn't know what they were in for (the theatre is very unassuming from the street and the lobby is small). As they went into the auditorium and heard the Wurlitzer playing before the show, they just looked around and said, "Wow!" They both came back into the lobby and tracked down Nelson Page (the owner) and myself to congratulate us - now *that* was thrill! Dullea's wife was visibly moved by the music and atmosphere - it was touching. Then Jeff Barker went into his 2001 organ medley - Thus Spoke Zarathustra and the Blue Danube - and Dullea said to Lockwood, "Quiet - I want to hear this." The place went nuts when Jeff finished playing (he was on fire, I can't recall him being better) and we introduced the two stars to the crowd. Another great moment - as we were walking them down the side aisle just when the Starchild appears, Lockwood stopped and stared at the screen. When the end titles began, he took off his glasses and wiped the tears from his eyes. The two men were charming and gracious to everyone and it was a treat for me to have been a part of it all.

I'll post more info and pictures about the rest of the weekend later...

Thanks for the pictures, Jon.

Pete Apruzzese

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, I know you've heard this many times before, but it bears repeating.

So often, it's the owner and the theater that get all the credit. But I want to state how thrilled and impressed I am with your research abilities; attention to detail, and showmanship savvy. I know how difficult it can be to deal with the paper-pushers at the studios, and finding the most pristine prints is often a most difficult task. Time and time again, I am blown away by the quality of the prints that I see at the Lafayette, and the superb level of showmanship that is evident when presenting them. You certainly understand the importance of curtains, lighting, music, and all the other elements that go into making each show an event.

Thank you for all that you do behind the scenes to replicate the classic movie palace experience, and I look forward to many, many more film events at this magnificent theater!

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes Jon (sent you a note this morning), thank you very much. I hope to get an album up of the event over the next few days as time permits.

Thanks for your kind words, Bob.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You're certainly welcome Pete.

I'm looking forward to the screening this weekend of ZULU. I understand it's an archival Technicolor print. If it looks half as good as the 35mm trailer you've been running, I know that film fans (and collectors) are in for a reel treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks