What's new

Specs for the Upcoming Sony Progressive DVD (1 Viewer)

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere so I will!
Here are the specifications on the upcoming Sony DVP-NS700P Progressive Scan DVD Player - MSP of about $400.00!!!
Click on the link to see if you'd like to see a picture.
Link Removed
DVP-NS700P PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD PLAYER
Progressive Video Output with 3-2 Pulldown
CD-R/RW playback
12 Bit / 54 MHz Video DAC (for 480P)
Precision Drive 2
Dynamic Tilt Compensation
TV Virtual Surround
Block Noise Reduction
Dolby Digital/DTS output
Digital Video Enhancer
Digital Video Equalizer
SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes
10bit Video DACwith 27Mhz processing for 480i output
Component Video Output
Sony Digital Cinema Sound modes
CD and
DVD text
Custom Parental Control
Picture Navigation with
Bookmark, Picture Memory, and Strobe playback
Sound Feedback
Multi-brand remote control
Features
Progressive scan 480P output Delivers beautiful, film-like performance with the latest High-Scan™ and other HD compatible televisions
Full 3-2 reverse conversion The most accurate way to display a film originated DVD, faithfully reproducing the the films frame structure within a video source.
12-bit, 54 Mhz digital to analog converter for 480P output Delivers smoother gradation for more realistic recreation of DVD video
Block Noise Reduction This features helps reduce and remove unwanted "blocks" of information which occur as a result of fast motion and small detail in an image.
Dolby Digital and DTS digital output Connects to a receiver with Dolby Digital and/or DTS built-in
Precision Drive 2 system Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 2 improves over last years Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Plays CD-R/RW discs Now you can enjoy the versatility of listening to recorded material from CD-R/RW discs, as well as standard CD's and DVD movies.
Digital Video Enhancer Improves crisp contrast and picture detail, while controlling unwanted artifacts.
Digital Video Equalization Factory preset anad user adjustable settings to optimize picture quality digitally, within the DVD player
SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes Give you the cleanest playback of DVD in slow motion and scan speeds.
10 bit Video DAC with 27Mhz processing Assures accurate recreation of video with smooth gradations of color and contrast, making a more lifelike picture.
Component Video Output Spearates the vital color components of a video signal, combining them again only when the signal has reached the television. For clear, sharp, and colorful playback of DVD movies.
Digital Cinema Sound DSP system that reproduces the precise acoustics of acclaimed Hollywood mastering stages.
TV Virtual Surround System that generates the effect of surround sound speakers, even when you're limited to the stereo speakers inside your TV.
CD Text and
DVD Text Compatible CD's will display song titles, artist name and disc titles. DVD text equipped discs will display titles, a jacket picture and other information.
Custom Parental Control "Locks" mature-content discs with a four digit code, even if the discs don't carry and MPAA rating.
Picture Navigation With
Bookmark, Picture Memory, and Strobe playback. Makes it easy to access your discs and all of their features
Sound Feedback Feature that gives you a confirmation "beep" when a button is pressed
Multi-brand remote control In addition to Sony televisions, these remote controlsalso operate other brands of television and the volume control for 8 brands of A/V Receiver.
Specifications
Video Horizontal Resolution, DVD 500 TV Lines
Audio Frequency Response (DVD, 96 kHz PCM) 2-44,000Hz, ±0.5 dB
Audio Signal-to-Noise Ratio (DVD, 96 kHz PCM) 110dB
Audio Dynamic Range, DVD 110dB
Harmonic Distortion 0.0025
Weight
11 lbs. 14 oz.
5.4kg
Dimensions
17 x 3 3/4 x 15 3/4"
430 x 94.5 x 411mm
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

The CES reports I read said June of this year. My question is, at $400.00 how will it compare to the $800.00 Denon 2800 with fairly identical features. My inclination is to believe that the 2800 will be a technically superior unit, but at half the price, the Sony seems like a clear choice.
Others thoughts?
John
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Although this sounds like a nice unit, I'd still prefer the 2800. It's that Si503 chip thing that keeps ringing in my head. Also, I'm sure the Denon would sound better for music....HDCD decoding, better D/A converters, and also able to output true 24/96 through the digital outs.
I currently own a low-end Sony DVD player (530D) with 24 bit D/A converters. But when I tried the Denon 2800's sound, it was a night and day difference. I miss the thing...despite it's defects. Can't wait for the de-bugged units to hit the stores again. For those interested, one of my local providers finally has in their chain's warehouse system that 100 new de-bugged 2800's are due to arrive soon. (This is The Whiz in the NYC/NJ metro area by the way).
Darryl :)

Maksim Yankovskiy

Auditioning
So, you are saying I paid $1K premium for DVP-S9000ES because of the blue light and SACD (not necessary in that order???).
Just kidding. I'll stick with my 9000. This new one looks good. I will definetely check in out when it is on the shelves.
== Maksim
------------------
== Every great accomplishment was once considered impossible ==

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
The CES reports I read said June of this year.
translation;
first week of September :)
------------------

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know if the 700 will allow 24/96 output on the digital out the way 9000 does?

W

Will

When comparing the Sony to the Denon 2800 maybe
I missed something, but doesn't the Denon have
DVD-Audio?

Andrew P

Second Unit
Id compare the Sony to the Panasonic DVD-RP91. It cost me $500 shipped and produces a beautiful picture and it has dvd-audio (although im not sure if id ever use it, but for only $150 more than the Sony its worth it).
Andy

*Neither the Sony 700 or the Denon 2800 do SACD or DVD-Audio.
OneCall.com now lists the Sony available for Preorder. They also have a 10% discount sale right now on DVD players, which this unit qualifies for. I have pre-ordered the unit for $334.95 DELIVERED. I hope to receive it the week of June 1st.
I still have many unanswered questions about this unit, but I'm willing to risk a 10% restocking fee against the hope that this unit performs comparably to the 9000ES, minus the SACD and a few bells and whistles.
One thing is for certain: it seems really hard to justify the Denon 2800 at twice the price, especially with all the problems the unit has reportedly had.
I will post a full report once I get the unit and run it through the paces.
Best,
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

Bob Whitefield

Auditioning
The Sony DVP-NS900V is a gorgeous unit, and I'd buy it in a second, but for one problem: no DVD-Audio.
Is SACD encoding better for audio? Could be. The bit-steering approach is excellent. Separate copy-protection is also nice. Can 99.999% of consumers hear the difference? Nope. So does this matter to the ultimate success of the format? Nope.
There are thousands of DVD-Audio releases. There are less than a hundred SACDs available. The format war is over, and DVD-A won.
Sony, you really didn't learn much from Betamax, did you? How long before you face reality and include DVD-A in your players? I think one more product cycle.

Bob Whitefield

Auditioning
Not smoking, Brian, just misinformed.
frown.gif
Turns out the "thousands" of DVD-Audio titles included musicals, concerts and music videos on DVD-Video. There seem to be less than a hundred actual DVD-A releases. Sorry, I shouldn't have repeated that claim without verifying it.
Having said that, I still think SACD is Betamax redux, and Sony is only shooting themselves in the foot by omitting DVD-A from their players.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I'm one who has been waiting to see and hear the new DVP-NS900V .
Other than the above links / news that have beeen around for months -
there's been little info about the unit . No review on a pre production unit.
Maby we'll get some new info soon ?? .
Before this news , the 9000es was a target unit for me , but with all the
bug discussion and the price , my attitude has been to wait and see what comes
next .
These things are getting better & cheaper almost every quarter . Hurry Up Sony !!!
Eric

Robert George

Screenwriter
...I still think SACD is Betamax redux...
I agree, and after hearing DVD-A, I think neither format will ever gain mass acceptance. DVD-A may have the industry support as compared to SACD, but I don't think there is enough market for another audio format, particularly 5.1 audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks