Spec's for "Run Silent Run Deep"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oswald Pascual, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Does anyone have the Video specs for "Run Silent Run Deep" DVD?

Aspect Ratio on DVD?

Anamorphic or not?

Video Transfer Quality?

I did a search on the web and came up with difffernt aspect ratios on three different websites! aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Oswald,
    DVD File's review has the correct aspect ratio information for Run Silent, Run Deep.
    I just popped the disc in and it is 1.66:1 non-anamorphic. It's been awhile since I viewed the disc, but I believe that the DVD File review is correct with regard to the overall quality of the video on this release.
    - Walter.

3. James Stone

James Stone Auditioning

Oswald:

The aspect ratio is about 1.66:1 with no enhancement. On my 32" JVC monitor, the matting is very slight, almost negligible, but the film looks appropriately framed. The picture quality is good and generally crisp, with some grain (most noticeable in the night scenes) and occasional speckling. And dramatically the film holds up quite nicely, which was something of a surprise. The interplay between Gable and Lancaster is compelling, despite the familiarity of the story line, and the sub interiors are very well staged/filmed. A nice addition to your DVD library.

4. James Stone

James Stone Auditioning

?

5. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I am glad that the film held up well. To bad MGM did not give it the anamorphic treatment that a lot of these web sites says it has, but MGM usually leaves there 1:66 movies unenhanced.

(Shame on them) I am a sucker for sub movies and this little gem was missing from my collection.