What's new

Specifications (1 Viewer)

MikeWelsh

Auditioning
I think this might be helpful to anyone building a HT. Specifications are legally binding beyond any verbal contracts or even blueprints. If you can think of anything to add to a contract in an HT install add it here. I am thinking anything related to the construction. Leave it to a line or two and maybe someone at the top can put them all together. I will start it with this

1) No low voltage cable shall be run parallel to any cable caring more than 50 volts for a distance more than six inches.

That might be three lines

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Perhaps you should clarify what you’re after here, Mike: Wiring specs or full construction?

Trying to spec full construction could be a Pandora’s box, as there are many levels of what one would call a home theater, from merely wiring the family room in a new house for rear speakers, all the way a full-blown dedicated room built and soundproofed to recording studio specifications.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael Whitney

Stunt Coordinator
This could be a huge process. Not that we couldnt do it, but just in wiring I can think of: Guage specification, max run length, termination quality, whether commercial specific grade or custom.

Other : Soundproofing methods to be used. STC requirements for theatre area, etc....

gabeG

Auditioning
Are you looking for a comprehensive specification for all portions of a HT? If so, I'm not sure that it would be all that big a proccess, since (as an example) the NEC would gover n the core issues regarding the electrical specification (ie power grounding etc). The HT spec could govern a given systems' design's general points.

Our HT spec (I am the managing partner reponsible for system design for an A/V company in Canada) is quite short, given the governing bodies having so much control over the major points.

Are you thinking of using this for generating a Request For Quotation from contractors?

MikeWelsh

Auditioning
I'm not thinking anything to complex. Maybe just a few specs to make sure a home owner gets what they really want when they hire a contractor. More complex installations will generally have an architect and/or an engineer involved to provide the specs. I think if you are to the point of hiring an HT company to do the work, it is probably beyond the scope these specs (if the HT contractor is reputable). I think this would be helpful to someone finishing a basement or even just a dedicated HT room. If they had a list of items they really wanted and could give it to a general or electrical contractor it might make the process easier for all involved (make sure they are included in the contract documents). The specs could also be included in an RFQ to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Enough about what I think. Can this be done or does it cover to much territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks