Specific Questions on Onkyo/Denon receivers -Please Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkMaestas, Jan 17, 2002.

1. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

I'm new to home theater and I'm looking at getting a good affordable receiver. I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-DS595 and the Denon AVR-1802. From the threads that I've read, I've heard of a few differences. I know the Denon has pre-outs. Is this something that I will likely use in the future? for what purpose? Will I need one of these preouts if I decide to use aura bass kickers in the future? or 2 subs?

I also know that the two recievers differ slightly on the number of inputs/outputs that they have. Will I run out? I'm not sure what I need. I have the Mitsubishi Platinum Series WS55807 55" TV, a Pioneer DV333 DVD player (will likely upgrade to a progressive), a CD player, a HI FI VCR, and I have digital cable. I may cancel the cable and get Direct TV and I may also add a Nintendo game system.

Neither recievers have component video in/outputs. Is this something that I should have?

I have heard that the Denon is harder to set up. Is this a big issue for someone new to home theater or just a slight pain? And the Denon remote has been criticized...is it a big deal or can I replace with a relatively inexpensive radio shack remote?

I can buy both recievers for very close to the same price...the Onkyo slightly higher from an authorized dealer (JandR.com)and the Denon from an unauthorized dealer (etronics.com).

I've been leaning towards the Denon because of the preouts, but I don't know if 'll use them. Or should I upgrade a level and get something that has preouts and component video in/outputs? Money is not the main issue. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to miss something basic and feel like I have to upgrade real soon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Onkyo ROOLZ Denon SUX!!!!! [​IMG]
    hee hee hee....
    Personally, if it were me, I would not buy from an unauthorized dealer unless the item was discounted severely. That means given your choices I'd go Onkyo. I have an older Onkyo flagship receiver that I got used that is just incredible, I am in love with it.

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Since you intend to get a progressive scan DVD player and may get DirecTV (a source of hi-def signals for your TV), I would recommend that you get a receiver with component video switching.

As far as preouts, you might use them in the future if you want to get an external power amplifier and just use the receiver as a pre/pro. I don't consider this to be a real important feature, but it can be useful. AFAIK, the only criticisms leveled at a Denon remote have been leveled at the Aktis remote shipped with the upper echelon models. These criticisms are approprite since this remote represents a pathetic attempt to produce a Pronto. They should have just OEM'd the Pronto like Onkyo did. That rant complete, it is simple to go out and buy a universal remote which will work with the Denon (hint, forget the $15 ones and get a Pronto...).

So, I would suggest moving up a notch or two in the receiver lines of your respective choices. If money really is not an object, I would move up two notches because receivers at that level will provide more real world power than the less expensive models.

4. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

John,

Thanks for your input. You suggested that I upgrade for component switching and more power. What exactly is component switching? Also, I currently have an old Sony receiver that is 45 watts/ch. This gets louder than I would play my new receiver. Based on that, do you still think I need a more powerful receiver? Thanks again for your help.

Mark

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

If you decide on Onkyo, get it from oade brothers. They are authorized and very competitive on price.