Specific Help With JVC RX-7030BK

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ross Chapman, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Ross Chapman

Ross Chapman Auditioning

Hi there everyone

I have just recently purchased a new digital surround sound JVC amplifier and I am having some trouble understanding all the options it has.

I am looking for someone here that actually owns this exact receiver so I can maybe learn a bit about it.

I am glad to have found this place, wow is it ever filled with good stuff [​IMG]

Ross

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ross,

Essentially, the features that your JVC receiver has are the same as many of the other receivers out there.

To answer some of your questions:

Formats:
    DTS and Dolby Digital: These are formats for watching videos and will provide the decoding of the soundtracks so you can hear them in a 5.1 format.

Dolby Pro Logic II (Music and Cinema): This option will take 2 channel sounds and break them apart so they can be heard over 5, 6 or 7 channels.

Optical Input: This will receive your digital connection from your DVD player (if the player has one.)

Coax Input: This is the 2nd form of digital input. If your DVD player doesn't have an optical connection, it might have this type of connector. Either the optical or digital coax connection would be required to get "surround" sound from your movies (unless you have the analog connections connected and use Dolby Pro Logic II.) Obviously, using the DD or DTS soundtracks of a movie is more superior.

Please let myself/us know some more specific questions that you have so we can work to answer them for you.

Enjoy !!

3. Ross Chapman

Ross Chapman Auditioning

Thank you for taking the time to answer

I have many questions but i'll ask one at a time so I don't get too confused lol

Ok problem #1

I have certain DVD's that have the DTS selection available in the sound set up, when I select DTS and I select the DTS mode on my amplifier I hear 0 sound

Why is that ?

Thanks

Ross

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Ross, check the DVD Player itself & make sure it's outputting the "DTS" Audio Track to the Receiver. I'm taking it that your getting "Dolby Digital" Audio just not the "DTS" Audio? If your not getting either look in the JVC owners manual about "Assigning" the "Digital Inputs" to the DVD Player.

5. Ross Chapman

Ross Chapman Auditioning

Hi Bill

I have 3 digital settings on my amplifier
    1.Linear PCM
    2.Dolby Digital
    3.DTS

I only get sound from the Linear PCM selection

Ross

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Simply, most DVD players come with the DTS defaulted off.

Go into the DVDp Audio Set-up and select BITSTREAM for DD and Dts. This will pass the 5.1 chl soundtrack to the receiver.

On the receiver's INPUT button, select Dts OR if it is there, select AUTO.

When playing a DVD encoded with Dts, select this option in the DVD disk's audio section at the onset.

The other poster's comment may or may not apply. The DVDp connectst to the rcvr with either a Toslink fiberoptic cable or a solid digital audio cable. That particular terminal will have several "uses" you can select via the remote in the set-up menu. You will want DVD of course.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Ross, I just happen to have the JVC RX-8030 / RX-7030 owners manual so maybe I can help but first a few questions.

What kind of "Digital" cable did you use to hookup the DVD to the Receiver, "Coaxial" or "Optical" ?

What "Number" (1,2,3 or 4)"Digital" Input did you hook it to?

From the Factory The Digital Inputs Are Set To:

Number 1 "Coaxial" = DVD
    Number 2 "Optical" = CD ----- If You Used Any Of These
    Number 3 "Optical" = TV ----- Without "Assigning" It To
    Number 4 "Optical" = CDR ---- "DVD" That's Your Problem

See Page 30 of the Owners Manual (Top Left)
    Also See Pages 19 & 20 "Slecting The Analog or Digital Input Mode"

But first make sure your DVD Player is set to output the Dolby Digital / DTS Bitstream.