1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Special Thanks to The Sun God!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Patrick Sun contacted me earlier this week to inquire if I'd be interested a small 15" length of 24" sonotube he had lying around. Of course, I jumped on it! I stopped by last night to pick it up and also had the opportunity to briefly audition his DIY speakers.
    Let me tell you, I was VERY impressed! Just looking at them you can see the excellent build quality. And even at high levels I could hear no compression. I never felt like the speakers were being over-driven. This was while watching the pod race scene from TPM!
    I really wish I'd had more time. I would have loved to sit down and listen to a little music to really test out the vocal quality of them but I was pressed for time. Next time I'll have to bring over my Sarah McLachlan and Police Greatest Hits discs to truly audition them! [​IMG]
    BTW, that center channel is freakin' HUGE!
    Thanks again Pat!
    Brian

2. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

It's fun to visit the Patman. The only problem I have is I always come away questioning my stuff. I have not had the chance to hear his new speakers, but with the old ones it was really good. I can only imagine how it sounds now. If you're into pets, Pat has one of the coolest cats I've ever seen. This cat will fetch just like a dog. I think all of the low bass in the house has altered its genetics... [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What Brian fails to mention is that he would have had more time if he didn't deviate from my directions (he opted to come from a different direction, and, of course, missed the turn). [​IMG]
    I didn't really pump up the volume (it's been months since I'd have my subwoofer "on" for special DVD movie watching, most of the time, I'm in the 2-channel mode tweaking the main speakers). I could have given Brian the "Maxell blown away ad" treatment, but I was afraid the sub driver would fall out of the enclosure if I didn't gently ease it back into circulation.
    Re: compression in speakers, the reason I choose more expensive drivers that had decent power handling (over 150W) is precisely for that reason, there's some really gnawing when you hear drivers compress when you over-drive them. This is also the reason why I don't really mess with the super-cheapo drivers (tweeters or woofers) with low power handling specs, the price isn't worth the trade-off in having to live with speakers you can't crank up when you feel like it. But that's just my preference (nothing wrong with squeezing as much performance you can out of inexpensive drivers, just remember that you will eventually get what you pay for).
    Thanks for visiting, Brian, it made me clean up most of the place, something I'd been putting off for months. Heh.
    Kerry, Fred still fetches stuff, just at a slower rate.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Pat,
    Well, missing the turn only put me behind a minute or so![​IMG]
    Anyway, yes I've decided my next speaker upgrade will definitely include drivers with much higher power handling! You can only get so much output from a Vifa 5.25" mid and 1" tweeter! I'd decided that before coming over last night but it just drove the point home even more.
    Glad I was able to get you motivated to do a little cleaning!
    Brian