special request for dish network subscribers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory Scott Bass, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

Dish local channel quality has taken a dive this week, the football game on tonight is almost unwatchable do to mpeg compression, If you have dish network then please call them and register a complaint 1-800-333-dish , if you belong to other newsgroups then please pass this on, this is the only way I know to make them fix it....this is way beyond the normal mpeg problems...worse than cable in my opinion. the customer service rep told me they were logging complaints so the more they get the more likely they will be to take action. she also said they were launching a new sat in january but that doesnt really mean anything if they think there current level of compression is acceptable....moderater please keep this in this forum for a couple of hours before moving it, theres not as much traffic in the dbs forum. Thanks Scott

2. Mark McAlister

Mark McAlister Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed similar lacking in quality with Dish Network, and not just with local channels (channels sometimes pixelate and or seem to be fuzzy at times). I'm in Tuxedo, NC (just North of Greenville). Could it be that our problem is regional?
    btw, glad to know that there's local Home Thaeter Forum members [​IMG]

3. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

My guess is that this would be affecting all locals nationwide, however they may compress lower population channels more to keep the number of dissatified customers to a minimum. Scott

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Every Dish Network subscriber is living through this. Due to the must carry requirements they have to carry a Sh*tload more locals and since they haven't got their new satellites up yet they've had to up the compression even more. Relief will come in a few months. They have 2 new satellites due for launch and when they are in their proper orbit and ready to go picture quality will drastically improve.

Directv got their spot beam satellite launched in time so their picture quality should improve over the new few weeks.

Jeff

5. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Yes it is quite terrible. ANYBODY that can't see it is in fact blind. I was watching the Discovery Science channel the other night and it looke like VCD. No not even super VCD just VCD. Dish Network should be ashamed. Not that DirecTV is any better right now.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Man,
    Trying to watch the Eagles game yesterday was a true test of my patience with Dish Network. Absolutely HORRENDOUS. My one year contract is up January 19th.. High def cable will be avaiable in my area in a couple months.. Think i'm done with Dish Network. Besides, my roof looks like a freak'n TV station with two dishes. I was literally considering going back too a 4:3 tv from my 16:9 Mitsubishi... that's how bad it looks with anything but dvd's or high def HBO or ShowTime. [​IMG]

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Actually DirecTV is in a very good position right now. All their locals have been transferred to their new spot-beam satellite and in the coming weeks the free'd up bandwidth on the main satellites will allow for better picture quality.

It will take Dish at least til springtime before any improvements are seen.

Jeff

8. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Interesting rumor: On the engineering digital television listserv (OpenDTV) this morning was a report that Dish is planning to use the reduced quality of the locals as leverage in Washington for both changing the SHVA and for the Hughes merger. One tact by their lawyers has them claiming that the only way they can comply with SHVA and fairly compete with cable is for the Hughes merger to go through (thereby enabling them to utilize the expanded bandwidth).

BTW - Since the 29th (when DirecTV switched locals to the spot beam satellite) I've noticed a definite decrease in compression artifacts on the local channels.

-greg

9. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

What would be fair is if DISH would at least be open and forward about all the compression and visual problems with their system. Instead of advertising it as a "DIGITAL PICTURE QUALITY" which makes most people think of DVD when they hear the catchword. BE honest Dish and just tell customers that at best to expect "just mediocre" picture quality and get a lot of channels for a fair price. Or have a menu that customers can access listing how much video compression is being used for each channel. I get the feeling DISH is figuring "what the hell" noone can make us do anything about it anyways. Its sad when someone thats not even into video etc like we are here sees the problems within 5 minutes and asks "what are all those blocks in the picture"

10. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I can barely watch any "locals" via Dish's signal. I have to rely on my OTA antenna which is shaky at best. If you all could only see the look my wife gives me when "Survivor" blacks out for a second or two because the OTA antenna lost the signal [​IMG]
    One can only hope that the year 2002 brings more technological goodness in the form of HD signals!

11. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Hm..

I switched from DirecTV to Dish over a year ago because of HDTV availability (and OTA module), and I am happy since then.

I was paying for locals on DirecTV - but the quality was awful. Nowdays, I relay on OTA antenna for all locals, and use Dish for the rest. As added bouns - HDTV via OTA..

_zjt

12. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

The launch date for Dish's spotbeam satellite is Feb 21st. Once launched it should be ready for use 4-8 weeks so hopefully by the end of march picture quality will be much better on Dish.

Jeff

13. Dean Sellers

Dean Sellers Agent

Hey Guys,

I don't think it's just the locals. ESPN has looked awful lately too.

I am looking forward to the end of my commitment with dish.........

Wait a minute, don't they have a commitment to customers to provide descent pq?

Maybe if they dumped those stupid music channels they could free up some bandwidth.

Dean

14. Jeff_W

Jeff_W Auditioning

I talked to someone at Dish on the 3rd, and they mentioned

that it might get a little better in the near future. They

pointed out that they are moving a lot of the local channels

to new channel numbers, so they are currently duplicated.

Ex: In Denver, ABC is now on 718 and 8200, so it is taking

additional bandwidth. They said this duplication should be

done in the next few weeks, giving back some of the quality.

Guess I'll wait and see.

15. Scott Greczkowski

Jeff while they did move the channels from the 700's to the 8000's they are not duplicating the signals on 2 Channels. Its still the same channel just remampped to 2 channel numbers.

Scott