1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Special needs HT selection and setup ?s

Discussion in 'Displays' started by emyers, Jul 30, 2006.

1. emyers

emyers Auditioning

First, I've never seen a HT in operation, having seen projectors in use only in the boardroom. How does the image quality compare with a plasma, big box, etc.?

Okay, special needs. My wife has glaucoma, we live in a remote area, and HT will be her only real entertainment, save reading.

I am looking to replace the big box I've had for the past 12 years. The cost of a replacement lamp is irrelevant, but the longer the better, as the HT will be used both for television and DVD viewing.

The setup room is approximately 20'x17'. There will be some ambient light from an adjoining room and within, so brightness is an issue.

The seating area is a bed, about 1 3/4 feet off the ground, with a head height of approximately 4 feet.

The room has a cathedral ceiling, so it would be difficult to ceiling mount. Thinking primarily of a unit that can be shelf mounted about 3 feet behind the viewer and 14 feet from the screen. The height can be up to 6 feet, but the projector will have to be able to project straight ahead as much as possible, so the screen height doesn't climb to the ceiling and require looking up.

My wife is sensitive to sound, so the quieter the better.

With the projector, weight is a none issue, as it will not be moved. It need not have all the bells and whistles. We may play video games, but this is a sub-requirement. Mainly, we will be watching satellite and rented DVDs. Do want some good contrast to help her see the image more clearly.

Budget for the projector: $2,000-3,000. Considering a high contrast, gray, DaLite 100" CinemaVision screen to mount in a dark corner of the room. Other recommendations for the screen are welcome, as are any concerning a basic sound system.

The projector will be located approximately 14' from the satellite input cable, so I am looking for a unit requiring the fewest wires possible. Also, what would be the best cable to use to connect the projector to the satellite over that distance?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Your shelf mounting requirement means you need a projector with lens shift such as the Panasonic 900 or Sanyo Z4. I think they're both a little less than $2,000. The screen I can't help you with. I painted a sheet of MDF for my screen. The sat. coaxial cable does not hook up to projector(do you mean sat. coaxial cable or video cable)? The coaxial cable runs from sat. receiver to your A/V receiver. Then your sat's video cable runs from sat. receiver directly to projector(best) or into your A/V receiver first, then into projector.
    Where will your components be? If you want just 1 cable to run to your projector, you will need to run your DVD player's cables and satellite's cables into your A/V receiver, then out from there you run 1 video cable to your projector. The receiver acts as your switcher between DVD player and satellite. The best cable to use is DVI/HDMI, then second is component cables.

3. emyers

emyers Auditioning

Thanks for your reply. Duh on the cables. What was I thinking.

Do you know of any DLP with the lens shifting capability. Looking for good contrast and have been told this is the best.

Ed