Special Feature Trailers w/ better picture than feature-what gives?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Dec 15, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I noticed on several DVD's lately that the trailer in the special features actually had a better picture than the movie itself. Sharper, and with better color and contrast. Why do they do this? Makes you wish you could have seen the movie that way. One was The Grinch. The trailer was sharp and clear, while the feature seemed hazy and softer in focus. Maybe that is the way it was supposed to be in the feature, but I preferred the way the trailer looked.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    All Quiet on the Western Front.

The feature looks rough (Universal needs to have a certain digital restoration company work on this one), but the trailer looks a lot better.

I'm not saying it's bad. It's a good presentation of what the existing elements look like. If Universal is having The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) digitally restored, they need to have many of their older films restored before its too late.

Nitrate won't wait!

3. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed this on a few. Notably the Star Wars TPM trailer looked better than the feature and I thought that the LOTR trailers looked better than Rush Hour 2.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Trailer's are not color timed or supervised by the director and director of photography. Therefore they do not convey the intended look of the movie.

Color timing is a process of washing the film with chemicals and printing with filters to create and maintain a color scheme (although now it can be done digitally). Basically, it's used to keep things like the color of the sky consistent between shots completed hours or even days apart. But, it's also used to darken a picture, lighten a picture or give it a 'gritty' feel (or in the case of 'The Grinch' give it a soft focus) to the filmmaker's preference. The color scheme of a film goes a long way in creating a mood.

So although a film may look more vibrant in the trailers, its the wrong scheme and not the intended look.

5. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

I am curious as to whether people experiencing this problem have a widescreen TV or a standard TV. I notice this problem on my standard TV and I chalk it up to downconversion. Colors are one thing...but that "softer" look you get can simply be downconversion. "The Grinch" I believe was intended to have that softer look. However, there are many other films like JP3 or Superman where the featurette looks so much more detailed it makes you think....

6. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Christopher,

You bring up a good question. I also have a 4:3 set, and to test this phenomenon, I set the DVD player for a 16:9 TV, which eliminates the downconversion. I still get the same result, with the trailer a lot better looking, at least to me, than the feature.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A lot of people don't understand why some films look "soft" instead of totally hard. Many reviews of Superman stated that the transfer was too soft. The film itself used lots of fog filters, so it was intentional.
    This is another reason why a good understanding of film technology needs to be known when reviewing films like this.
    After all, we can't critizize the "March of Time" segment in Citizen Kane for having too many scratches and lines. [​IMG]

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

And the trailers for The Matrix don't look too green! [​IMG]

9. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Did anyone shout DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE?

10. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

Check out Snatch!

No not that the movie/trailer

11. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Also, trailers might have been preserved in better conditions? [​IMG]

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned American Pie. The trailer is so clear and colorful and the film itself is so dark and not colorful.