special editions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roland G, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Roland G

Roland G Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it's just me, but I think that the quality of Special Editions is dropping quite a bit compared to those released in the early days.

Why is it that a lot of new quality films don't get the deluxe SE that films like Fight Club got.

Solaris
    Adaptation
    About Schmidt

come to mind...

Sure there are still great SE's being released, but I am getting really tired of those sorta half SEs with a HBO featured and maybe if your lucky... a commentary track.

edit: could somebody move this to Software.... sorry for the mistake

2. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

Its just studios getting cheaper and cheaper. As soon as all the idiots moved from VHS to DVD, the amount of true entertainment connisours were dwarfed by the amount of rednecks who wanted to buy a pan and scan movie without any of those confusing extras. The average joe doesnt usually watch the extras, just the true fans of dvds. So because the dvd owners are not all smart multimillionaires anymore, they had to dumb down the content. And that means less development time, which equals more money and cheaper costs.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

How many movies other than Fight CLub got big deluxe editions in 2000? And there have been recent movies that got just as good or better. Black Hawk Down, for instance.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Solaris was a bomb that is unlikely to generate a mass cult following

Great film, but not something you want to sink big bucks on

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Not every film needs the amount of extras Fight Club had.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Frankly, there are too many movies getting SE treatment. I never thought I'd hear myself say that, but it's impossible to keep up with the tidal flood of discs with commentaries and documentaries and tons of stuff.

7. Arthur MR

Arthur MR Auditioning

PatrickMcCourt, I have exactly the same opinion..it's absolutly subjetive, which movie should have extra stuff like Fight Club or even like Lord of the Rings (gosh 7 hours extra documentaries)...

I'm more interested to get SE's of elder movies..man look at the brilliant Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Collector's Set, DVD-Fans would kill people to get them! (or it's just me..)

Arthur

8. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Let me add my voice to the chorus of those expressing distaste of the Special Edition overload. Some films, old (Singin' In The Rain) and new (The Hours), are worthy of special editions but come on, do we need special editions of stuff like Enough with Jennifer Lopez which has just been announced (is someone really wating for this)? What next, a special edition of Glitter with a Mariah Carey commentary, deleted scenes, cast interviews and a making of Glitter documentary?

I'm quite content with my special editionless DVDs of Adaptation and About Schmidt, thank you very much.

10. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

11. Arthur MR

Arthur MR Auditioning

oh yeah..isn't the movie the most important thing on a DVD, I'm almost happy if it could be uncut, ok Director's cut is the best thing..I don't need making of's or documentaries, except of my fav directors, but it isn't really necessary

..but everyone is different...or rich

Arthur

12. Roland G

sure you don't need tons of extras

but it seems like less quality movies are more likely to get a SE treatment *lol*

I am happy for you that you are content with your SEless editions of About Schmidt and Adaptation.

I am not. I would care for Special Editions for

Adaptation, The Ring or The Virgin Suicides.

I want to know a little more about the way Spike Jonze, Gore Verbinsky and Sofia Coppola work....

It really seems like "CQ" from Roman Coppola is the only film of a new/young director that got a decent SE.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Agree, too often the extras are just promo pieces for the studio and for their other products, or other irrelevant stuff like games. LOTR, BHD, Pearl Harbor (eg), films with effects or a history behind them, films that were controversial, etc. often have some good extras. Generally it's crap though. Criterion is reliable for their extras, they don't put it on if it's not relevant and informative.

I know some people complain when discs don't have extras, but if it's just going to be trash to fill space, and possibly limit the bits for good stuff, then I'll live without them.

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

16. Roland G

I honestly don't need a special edition for every singel movie on DVD.

But I would like to have SEs for the films that are breaking new ground or have a unique quality to them.

And it seems like those films don't get the treatment they deserve.

But my guess is that this is due the really short time span between between theatrical and video release.

Maybe we are getting a lot of great SEs in the future of those films [​IMG]

I sure know a

Panic Room and Vanilla Sky SE is coming

17. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm not seeing what you're talking about at all, but I guess that's because I primarily buy classic films and they either get the super deluxe treatment or get totally shafted. I very rarely find a new film that interests me enough to purchase the DVD, let alone watch the extras.

I'm a an extras afficianado and often find them more interesting than the movie, so I rate them very high on my requirements in order to purchase a DVD. If they aren't going to give me quality extras, then I'll just rent and save myself $10.

18. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

19. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

"Special" Editions. This has long been a pet peeve of mine. Doesn't there have to be a "regular" edition in order for there to be a "special" edition? Kinda like calling Domino's and ordering a small pizza. "Sorry, we only have medium and large." Uh... no- you can't have medium without a small and a large for it to fit between. So, invariably, I order "the SMALLER of the two". Yeah, I'm a jerk.

"Special" Editions indeed- like the Special "Limited" Edition of Saving Private Ryan. Don't get me started...

I can sum it all up in three words- Marketing, Marketing, Marketing.

Anal Retentive Jimmy

20. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit