What's new

Special Editions With 3 or More Discs? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The release of the three-disc special edition of Panic Room has me wondering about other R1 releases that devote three or more discs to one film. I'm not referring to multidisc sets for several films, such as the Alien Quadrilogy or the Ultimate Toy Box, or TV miniseries/TV shows, but three or more discs in one release devoted to one theatrical film. Here's what I have:

Brazil
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Panic Room
Pearl Harbor
War and Peace
Windtalkers

What am I missing that fits my criteria?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial had a 3-disc limited edition box set come out. It had on one disc the original cut of the film, another disc the SE, and extras scattered across those two discs and onto a third disc. This doesn't count the CD soundtrack at all, just the three DVDs alone.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The Pianist (Canadian Release). Not sure if it counts as the 3rd disc is a CD - not a DVD.

Brotherhood of the Wolf (Canadian Release)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Would the Scarface Anniversary Box count? I'm not sure if I would include it, per se, but it did have 3 discs total.

Also, the French Director's Cut of Dangerous Liasons, all 270 minutes of it, from Wellspring was three discs.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I've never quite understood the fascination over the "number of discs". Especially when you consider the numerous DVDs that are flippers such that the movie is on one side and the special features are on the other - no different than having two single sided discs.

As such I suppose you can also add the following as equivalent 3-disc releases:

Dances with Wolves (MGM Special Edition)
Doctor Zhivago (Warner Special Edition)
Giant (Warner Special Edition)

But like these releases and most of the ones mentioned in this thread, they have multiple discs due to the film's length, inclusion of a Fool Frame, or alternate version of the film.

I would think the relevant question is what releases have included two discs worth of extra features?

Or perhaps even more relevant, would be to evaluate the volume of the special featuers, as some special features are spread thinly over multiple discs?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I don't think DVD sets that have one film split across two discs and another disc of extras should count. Sure, it's three discs, but only one disc dedicated to extras, so that's no different that a two-disc set for shorter films.

Also, movies that have one disc widescreen and one disc fullscreen and another disc of extras should not count.

E. T., being a revised version on one disc and the theatrical cut on another with another disc for extras should not count. The fourth disc for E. T., was the music soundtrack on CD, so that shouldn't really count either.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I believe the Suspiria: Limited Edition is a 3-disc set as well. Not sure if Opera: Limited Edition is or not.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
See, now this is a great example of what I'm talking about. I haven't viewed this DVD in a while so I'll have to confirm this, but the second disc was only a documentary (and as I recall was even under an hour in length!). The third disc was only a CD soundtrack.

I can think of several single disc special edition DVDs, let alone 2-disc DVDs that have far more special features than the Susperia LE DVD.

Basically knowing how many discs are included in a DVD release does very little in the way of reflecting upon the quality and quantity of the included special features.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Except for the fact that one would have to make 2 separate purchases, I think The Lord of the Rings releases would "win" the disc race:

2 disc theatrical and 4/5 disc Extended versions, so you could have 7 discs devoted to one film if you purchase both the regular release and the gift set. And you get to do it 3 times!

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but is Randy doing that? All I can tell is that he's just asking for what other 3 disc sets exist.

if a Special Edition has 3 discs, it should count--since that seems to be the only criteria.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Pretty soon we can add LOTR: Return of the King to the list, at least the EE set.

With the 40-minute DVD that was included with the limited edition and Internet edition versions of the CD soundtrack, that would push the theatrical cut to three discs and the extended version to five, based on which set you wanted to group it with.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Isn't the SE Frank Herbert's Dune three discs? Should it count since the film is split across all three?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks