Special Editions With 3 or More Discs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Randy A Salas, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The release of the three-disc special edition of Panic Room has me wondering about other R1 releases that devote three or more discs to one film. I'm not referring to multidisc sets for several films, such as the Alien Quadrilogy or the Ultimate Toy Box, or TV miniseries/TV shows, but three or more discs in one release devoted to one theatrical film. Here's what I have:

Brazil
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    Panic Room
    Pearl Harbor
    War and Peace
    Windtalkers

What am I missing that fits my criteria?

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial had a 3-disc limited edition box set come out. It had on one disc the original cut of the film, another disc the SE, and extras scattered across those two discs and onto a third disc. This doesn't count the CD soundtrack at all, just the three DVDs alone.

3. Mark Wielgosz

Mark Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

There's Black Hawk Down and I believe that Cleopatra was also a three-disc set.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Of course! Very good, guys. Thanks. Keep them coming.

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The Pianist (Canadian Release). Not sure if it counts as the 3rd disc is a CD - not a DVD.

Brotherhood of the Wolf (Canadian Release)

6. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    Criterion's upcoming release of The Leopard is three discs.

7. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

Pearl Harbor has a 4 disc set.
    Its great.

8. Mike.B

Mike.B Stunt Coordinator

Criterion's new Scenes from a Marriage is 3 discs, I believe.

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Would the Scarface Anniversary Box count? I'm not sure if I would include it, per se, but it did have 3 discs total.

Also, the French Director's Cut of Dangerous Liasons, all 270 minutes of it, from Wellspring was three discs.

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I've never quite understood the fascination over the "number of discs". Especially when you consider the numerous DVDs that are flippers such that the movie is on one side and the special features are on the other - no different than having two single sided discs.

As such I suppose you can also add the following as equivalent 3-disc releases:

Dances with Wolves (MGM Special Edition)
    Doctor Zhivago (Warner Special Edition)
    Giant (Warner Special Edition)

But like these releases and most of the ones mentioned in this thread, they have multiple discs due to the film's length, inclusion of a Fool Frame, or alternate version of the film.

I would think the relevant question is what releases have included two discs worth of extra features?

Or perhaps even more relevant, would be to evaluate the volume of the special featuers, as some special features are spread thinly over multiple discs?

11. Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy Second Unit

Almost Famous Untitled - The Bootleg Cut (Director's Edition)

12. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I don't think DVD sets that have one film split across two discs and another disc of extras should count. Sure, it's three discs, but only one disc dedicated to extras, so that's no different that a two-disc set for shorter films.

Also, movies that have one disc widescreen and one disc fullscreen and another disc of extras should not count.

E. T., being a revised version on one disc and the theatrical cut on another with another disc for extras should not count. The fourth disc for E. T., was the music soundtrack on CD, so that shouldn't really count either.

13. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I believe the Suspiria: Limited Edition is a 3-disc set as well. Not sure if Opera: Limited Edition is or not.

14. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Opera is 2 discs. The adult move The Fashionistas is 3 DVDs plus a CD.

--Ian

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

See, now this is a great example of what I'm talking about. I haven't viewed this DVD in a while so I'll have to confirm this, but the second disc was only a documentary (and as I recall was even under an hour in length!). The third disc was only a CD soundtrack.

I can think of several single disc special edition DVDs, let alone 2-disc DVDs that have far more special features than the Susperia LE DVD.

Basically knowing how many discs are included in a DVD release does very little in the way of reflecting upon the quality and quantity of the included special features.

16. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I believe AMELIE was 3 discs in most parts of the world (other than the US).

17. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

Except for the fact that one would have to make 2 separate purchases, I think The Lord of the Rings releases would "win" the disc race:

2 disc theatrical and 4/5 disc Extended versions, so you could have 7 discs devoted to one film if you purchase both the regular release and the gift set. And you get to do it 3 times!

18. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Yeah, but is Randy doing that? All I can tell is that he's just asking for what other 3 disc sets exist.

if a Special Edition has 3 discs, it should count--since that seems to be the only criteria.

19. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Pretty soon we can add LOTR: Return of the King to the list, at least the EE set.

With the 40-minute DVD that was included with the limited edition and Internet edition versions of the CD soundtrack, that would push the theatrical cut to three discs and the extended version to five, based on which set you wanted to group it with.

20. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Isn't the SE Frank Herbert's Dune three discs? Should it count since the film is split across all three?