What's new

Speakon Speaker cable Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an amp that ONLY accepts Speakon connectors.

Are there any recommendations for cable mfgrs. who make an audiophile quality speaker cable?

Thanks!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My Rel subs use that connection and I make my own stuff. I know of a small company based in VA that I believe has dealers in VA and IL that makes upgraded Rel cables and they probably could make something for you, Empircal Design. I think there are a couple of reviews of their stuff at Audio Review under 'ED Omniwire.' It is possible that places that sell the connector like www.markertek.com or www.haveinc.com may make-up cables using those too. I'm not sure what type of quality you are looking for. Speakers cables come in all price ranges. If you can't find anything, I would not want you to be unable to use the amp and drop me an E-Mail. I would assume it takes the NL4FC (4-pole) connector.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
David, the places I noted distribute the connectors. If you have cable you are happy with you can just reterminate one end with the connector too. The 4-pole connector has 4 screws that clamp onto the wire, 2 are positve (1+ and 2+) and 2 are negative (1- and 2-) so if you have speaker wire that has a positive and negative you just need to attach it to an appropriate terminal if you have 4-conductor wire you can just attach 2 of the conductors to the + and 2 to the -.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Phil, I also own a Rel sub and have been considering purchasing a BFD to better EQ it with my horrible room acoustics. The problem, the neutrik speakon connector.
I'm not a DIY cable guy so what do you think my options are, as far as using an EQ with a Rel sub? :)
Edit: forgot to say, I do not want to use line-level connection, I use the Rel for 2 channel only and I don't want to DSP the analog signal, I just want to EQ the bass info. My speakon conn. has only 3 wires, red, black, yellow.
They connect directly to the back of my 2 channel amp.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Frank, not sure what BFD is or why you feel you need to EQ the bass but I guess you could put an equalizer between the preamp and power amp and only adjust the bass frequencies, leaving the rest of them flat. I used an RTA plus test discs to look at the problems in my room and I have 2 tube traps, one super trap, and another type of trap made by www.acousticsfirst.com (barrel shaped diffuser which depending on the size help centered on specific frequencies - can make you own too with thin sheets of masonite and fabric). I just picked up a couple of tube traps from the bedroom system from an estate sale and I guess in a week or so I'll pop the real time analyzer in and drive myself crazy in there. Not sure where you are located, they have more tube traps for sale w/o boxes and not sure if they can ship, but they would be a great deal (I was good and did not buy them for the future basement system).
So that everyone knows I'm a CL (certified lunatic - please send yor spare straight jackets) when it comes to this stuff, I have 4 Rels in my main system. 2 Storm IIIs which operate in stereo on music or distributed ".1" on movies, a Q150 on the center and a Strata III on the rears. The center and rear subs are naturally just hooked-up via the Speakon connection (with of course non-stock wires). I'm trying to be very good (and might need to take some Dos Equis medicine in a few minutes to remain that way) since they have a Storm (not a III, just a Storm) at the estate sale and not buy it for the bedroom (where I currently have a Sunfire, Jr.) and use the bedroom sub on my center when I finish the basement. I already have a Phase Technology Octave 1.0 waiting for the basement system. I've had subs in my systems long before Home Theater (e.g. Dahlquist with the Dahlquist elect. crossover, et. al.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks