What's new

speaking of tips... do you tip your barber? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I usually tip a dollar which is 10%. I'd leave more, but I ain't rich!
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm with Dennis...$5 tip on a $15 haircut. She could easily get $5 more out of me if she charged admission just to watch that assistant of hers...wow!
------------------
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I usually tip a dollar which is 10%. I'd leave more, but I ain't rich!
I'm with you. if I have it I'm down for a buck or two, if all I got is $12 that's all I got (which is often the case) I only get my hair cut once ever couple months as it is
smile.gif

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
I don't tip my barber. I figure I'm paying 11 bucks for a haircut that takes ten minutes at the most. Considering he's the shop owner and is driving around in a brand new truck I personally don't see the need.
I really wish employers would just pay their help what they're worth so we could do away with the whole tipping system. It would be so much simpler that way.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I always tip my barber. The only get $8 for the haircut in the first place so I give them $10.
I always tip with meals at least 20%. I always tip the Pizza delivery guys (they are different each time so they don't stick around that much) and pay extra to the guys that do work on my house (if they are doing work for some company and they are just getting paid by the hour or job).
It is just the right thing to do if you have the extra money.
Parker

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I usually give my barber a big kiss after the haircut. Of course...my wife is my barber. Link Removed
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
You guys get your haircuts very cheap. Does anyone else here pay more than $20 for their haircuts?
eek.gif
I should start checking out these places with the red, white and blue revolving poles. I'm getting ripped off!
wink.gif

~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on October 19, 2001 at 10:22 AM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
My hairstylist, I always tip. Usually more than I should, but she's a friend, and the only person I know with enough class to give me a good haircut. I've noticed that hairstylists cut your hair to suit their tastes. For instance, every time I get my hair cut by a girl with orange spiked hair and a pierced tongue, I end up walking out of there looking like a punk. I'm one of the youngest guys in my company and strive to look good, clean cut, etc. Most of my coworkers are 10 to 20 years older than I am, and I can't just show up with a haircut that makes me look like one of their teenagers.
So, I've got to find someone with class, and Jenny's got it. She looks great and I come out of there looking like a professional. I've known her since elementary school, so that helps, too.
smile.gif
I did have a gay man cut my hair once. He did one hell of a good job and if I didn't have Jenny around, I'd find a good looking gay man to cut my hair. It may be stereotypical, but those boys have fashion sense.
Restaurants, I only tip if I get good service. If I have to ask for something three times, they don't get a tip unless there are extenuating circumstances (for instance, if the restaurant is extremely busy).
Pizza, I never used to tip. I figured I was paying $15 for a pizza and that was plenty. Then a buddy of mine worked for a pizza chain for a few months. Apparently, they all know which houses don't tip, and when you call to place an order they fight amongst themselves as to who is going to deliver it. Nobody wants to because they know you won't tip them. Eventually the manager steps in and designates someone, and he drives to your house but he's not happy about it. I'm also told some employees will spit in your pizza or do other things to it when they are forced to deliver to a known non-tipper. Now, I tip those guys a few bucks every time - mostly out of fear, but partly because I've moved and now live right on the edge of their delivery area. They have to drive awhile to get to me so I figure they deserve the extra money.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My mom's a beautician so I get my haircuts for free.
smile.gif
Of course, I always cook or buy dinner for her and my dad afterwards.
I always tip the waiter/waitress at a resturant unless they are an ass to me. Usually the folks who get the most tip money from me are the guys at the Waffle House. I also tip the barmaid very well when I go out on Fridays. She works VERY hard and puts up with a lot of shit from drunk people at the bar.
My friend Jennifer works part time (about 20 hours/week) at a Mexican resturant near where she lives. She is only making between $2.50 - 3/hr but makes over $200 a week in tips alone. (It helps when you're pretty and nice to the customers, which she is very much of both...espcially the first one
wink.gif
.)
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
quote: I've noticed that hairstylists cut your hair to suit their tastes.[/quote]
That's very true. When I was in high school my mom would send me to her hair stylist for hair cuts. Of course, that was back when I had more hair to work with, and I was very conscientious of how it looked. I would usually just get a "normal" hair cut from him. But then one day I wanted something different. Something "cooler." I told him what I wanted, but he didn't like my idea and said, "Let me try it a little differently. Trust me. You'll be getting any girl you want with this."
Now keep in mind, this is a good looking straight guy that looks like he could get any girl he wants. He would ogle over the girls that would come into the salon, but had to keep it under his breath because his hot wife worked there too. Anyway, when he was done...wow! Sure enough, within a couple weeks I had a date to the prom with a girl that everybody had a crush on. Then, the following summer...I met my wife. I don't know if it was because of the haircut, but something made a difference. You know that Supercuts commercial where the dumpy little nerdy guy walks in but then walks out as tall, handsome, and studly? The same phenomenon.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on October 19, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
I love bar talk. I used to tip my barber, but now my wife cuts my hair. Of course she has her hair done by a pro which I pay for, so I guess that could be a tip. Now I always tip my bartender, but my attorney, who is a member of the bar, I never tip, I think it is included in the bill. My boss is always raising the bar, and my tip to him is "Stop it!".

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I always tip my barber 50p to £1 depending on mood (and funds), whats thoughtful about my barber is he has a nude babe calendar on the mirror, giving me something nice to look at while he is cutting my hair....
smile.gif

POST EDITED TO A PG RATING.
[Edited last by Steve Christou on October 19, 2001 at 06:09 PM]

Eric Scott

Second Unit
My mother taught me to always tip well when I've received services that I am satisfied with. I used to tip my wife quite generously, but lately her performance...wait, you're talking about getting haircuts...holy camolli!
I give my haircutter about 50% because she does it exactly the way I want it. She is so good that my 22 year old son started going to her.
------------------

Stephen L

Second Unit
Never tip my barber , he owns his own shop.I always give him a Twenty at Christmas as well as my mailman.
patriot.gif

------------------
Steve

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When I first came to college in L.A. I always got my haircut at home for fear that I wouldn't find a good barber here. Now that I have, he's been my barber for 10 years. The price has increased to $17 per cut, I always give him $20 and leave. When it was $15 & $12 I'd tip $3 as well.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
$8 for the cut
$1 tip
Tipping is horse shit, but I have to do it because of our twisted folkways and mores.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks