speaking of tips... do you tip your barber?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

OK
    I'm ALWAYS wondering about this.
    do you tip your barber? I'm never sure, sometimes I do sometimes I don't (like if all I got is 12 bucks on me)
    I always watch and some people do and some don't, if I do it's usually a buck or two. Keep in mind I go to an old style real barber shop, that cleans up the edges with a straight edge razor and hot shaving cream [​IMG] it's in the basement of the student union at my university and has been since the dawn of time as far as I know.

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

idk man...all i know is that i tip my hairdresser everytime
    I also know that it helps me squeeze in for an appt. if i'm in a press. I've had other ppl call to try to book me an appt. unsuccesfully only to call myself and get in no problem

3. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

I take the same attitude as Mark. I generally tip them a few dollars and have no trouble getting in, even just walking in and having them squeeze me in for a trim. It's worth a couple of bucks, especially with the way my schedule is. [​IMG]

4. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

5. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

If memory serves (I think I read this in Dear Abby), you should tip your barber/stylist 10-15%. However, if the barber is the owner of the store you should not tip as they already make a profit off the price. I should point out that I don't follow that second rule; I've been going to the same guy for 5 years (the owner of the shop) and I always tip but he's been very good to me, giving me appointments on demand (sometimes last minute) in his very busy shop.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well I have had the same barber since I was born about 25 and a half years ago and I tip him almost every time I go. It is not because I think it would help get me in as he lets me come pretty much whenever as long as he can get me in/out before the next appointment but its more of a nice thing to do for fitting me in at the last second.
    I know a lot of people that feel if they expect tipping then they are in the wrong business or they just need to start charging more (then again the same people feel that same way about waiters) go figure.
    KyleS

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

brad:
    too bad you don't live around here. my girlfriend is a body piercer and it amazes me how few people tip (even the tattoo artists where she works). it's quite a sad situaiton around here. i suggest she actually put out a jar or something with TIPS on it really big but she said she didn't want to look like she's begging. i can understand that but they level of care and professionalism she shows while working goes far beyond the $25 you're paying for that tongue, nipple, navel....
    kevin t

8. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Count me in as tipping. My wife and I usually go together and we see the same guy. It's ~80 bucks for the two of us and we usually just give him 100.
    brianca...

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Yes, I give her an extra ten dollars each visit. She in turn offers a free "clean up" between appointments. I rarely take advantage of that. It's difficult for me to find
    a hairdresser I really like who also does a great job. She is worth spoiling.

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I tip ~ 5.00, and 20.00 at Christmas. I'd like to say it seems to make a difference, but with me it's more of a "finders fee". ;-)
    Hint - if you ever go to an all-inclusive vacation that includes everything, including gratuities - start tipping !!! They will be falling over themselves to give you outstanding service. We went to Cancun and started giving out just 1 and 2 dollar tips. They all remembered us, we got the best tables, quick drinks, etc. Amazing what a buck can do.

11. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

12. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Yup, I tip.
    Usually a buck or two.
    I don't have all that much hair left on my head so anything to help the barber remember to take care of me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    BAM

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I've been going to the same barber for the past 20+ years. He owns the shop. I tip him $2 on a $10 haircut.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I tip minimally, but that's because I get my head shaved every time.
    Usually 10%
    Brent L

15. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I always tip my barber $5.00 for my $12.00 hair-cut.
    Jeff

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    No.
    BTW, I do my own hair

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I used to deliver furniture. Backbreaking work 6 days a week for the pisspoor pay of $6 a hour plus whatever tips I made during the day/week.
    Needless to say I pretty much lived day to day from tips-so I understand how tips can be a lifesaver-I always tip well. When I go to dinner, my parents,friends date whatever always make a comment about the amount I(or my brother)leave.
    My haircut costs $9, I give him a $20.
    Pizza Delivery-$4
    Restaurant-I usually leave about 25% unless the bill is really high, Ill lower that a bit.
    Anything delivered-$10 each
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

18. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I know I do. I have been going to the same lady for six or seven years. My hair is very difficult to style, but she does a great job. She charges $15, I tip her $5, more around the holidays.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I tip my barber $2, of course my haircut is really simple!
    I'll tip a cow for free [​IMG]
    Jay