speaking of speakers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tim_Neil, Jun 17, 2002.

1. tim_Neil

tim_Neil Agent

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm looking at Purchasing my home theatre system in stages. I would like to buy a nice receiver and some towers (Maybe something in the JBL or Polk brand) Then add to this setup with some surrounds, a center channel and a sub. Would this be overkill in a 4-plex (for my neighbors). Another option is to stick with a receiver (Denon??) and get bookshelf speakers, surrounds, a sub and center. What are the pro's and cons of both systems AND does anyone have setups with polk or JbL who can share their opinions. I would like to spend between 1000 and 2000 for the speaker setup (of course a bit more than this if I go with the towers) I almost brought a bose home but when I compared them with polk and JBL they couldn't hold their own. The sub was too quiet (passive) and the midrange wasn't very clear compared to the others. I decided at that time that I would try to piece together a system for the same price that sounded better (size of speaker doesn't matter to me) The price was $2,500 for the Lifestyles 28. Can anyone add their insight... it would help immensly.
  2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, if you will be getting it in stages take your time. Go with something from B&W, Def Tech, Axiom, ACI, nOrh, Swan Diva, etc. Look at specialty audio shops rather than Circuit City and Best Buy.
    For the speakers, I like the nOrh 4.0 package. It goes for $850 and is avialable in either ceramic or wood. As for the looks, you'll either love them or hate them. Seems to be little or no middle ground there. However, there are other options such as the Def Tech Pro Cinema 100.6, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub, Aperion Audio 512 w/SW-12 sub, or Energy Take 5.2 that may better appeal to you.
    The pro for building slowly is you can get higher quality gear. The con is that you may not be able to get the matching center and surrounds.
    As an example, for $2,500:
    SVS 20-39PCi - $600 ($549+ shipping)
    nOrh 4.0 package - $850 (shipping included)
    Panasonic RV-56 - $200
    Denon AVR-2802 - $800