Speaking of Speaker cable - what size is . . OK

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian Elwood, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

I've never put to much thought into Speaker cable - what is a good size ???

2. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    You cannot go wrong with a Home depot 12" cable.

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

Make that 12 gauge cable.

4. William_Gravem

William_Gravem Stunt Coordinator

unless Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy are all out of 12 gauge and it's 7:00pm the night before drywall goes up so in order to prewire you're forced to buy 14 gauge instead if you really want the wire nicely hidden... grrr... [​IMG]

sorry about that...

Yeah, 12 gauge is the way to go... it's especially important if you're wiring over long distances. Fortunately for me, none of the wire lengths needed to be more than about 35 feet, so for short runs 14 shouldn't cause me too many problems.

Somewhere I found a guide to this. I want to say it was at Crutchfield.com.

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I'm also using the HD 12-gauge wire with the heavy clear jacket. Many at this forum have said it's the best value available. Do a search, you'll find plenty of previous threads on it.

6. waltPark

waltPark Auditioning

I think it depends on how far you have to go, and which speaker you're driving, and how good your hearing is.

The mains and center (in HT) are where most of the sound comes from, so skimping a little on the rears isnt so bad, cuz most of what you'll hear in HT is effects, and occasion voices and off screen stuff.

But like.. if you're wiring to a sub, then skimping is a bad idea, cuz lower frequencies get lost more on thinner wire.

Skimping to mains, is always a bad idea.

As a general rule of thumb, the farther you want to go, the heavier the gauge you want to use because thinner wire has more resistance, and resistence is bad for sound.

Alotta people dont think wire matters, but I think they either dont listen to what they're hearing, or their speaks/electronics just suck.

I guess if you're doing a cheap home theater in a box it doesn't really matter. But anything mid-fi or better, you should be able to hear a difference in cables, and interconnects.

I also guess it kinda matters what you're listening to, and if you're just using it for background music, or kids shows.
    Even at something as short as 8 feet, you can hear a difference between a plain 16 ga and a 14, when you're actually listening.

And better wires do sound better. You wont hear much difference between 14 ga lamp cord, and 14 ga walmart wire. But you'll hear a difference between a 12 ga HD bulk wire, and a 12 ga braided cable.

Everyone's thumb is different, so what's the rule?

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

*cough* There's a cables forum here with lots of info in it. *cough cough*

8. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Drew's right.