Speaking of Rush...(new compilation)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Charron, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

There is yet ANOTHER Rush compliation coming out on Feb 11th, 'Spirit of the Radio', which includes a DVD with 5 videos from the Chronicles video.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...423782-1656649

This is pretty sad. This will be the 3rd compilation since 1990's Chronicles. I realize they have a hefty back-catalogue, but they are starting to look like one of these aging bands that release a new 'best of' every 5 years. It would be something if there was new unreleased stuff on there, but that is obviously not the case.

I would love to see a Rush boxset. Say, 4 CDs with about half studio tracks and the other half unreleased demos, songs, interviews, side-projects, B-sides, etc. Unfortunately, they've said themselves that they don't keep much material like that around. If a song isn't good enough for an album, it gets scraped. Shame.

2. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Zane,

These compilations are being released by their (Rush) previous label, Mercury Records. Take note as to what songs are on that new album. All of them are prior to Rush's 1989 album, Presto, which was their first album with Atlantic Records.

So, this is really Mercury Records still trying to cash in on Rush.

3. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Ah yes, of course. But still, doesn't a band have ANY control over the albums released by their former label?

4. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I love the cover art![​IMG]

But why no DVD-A yet?

Wes

6. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I have seen Spirit of Radio advertised with a bonus DVD of "5 classic performances." Does anyone know what is on the DVD yet?

7. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I just picked it up at lunchtime. The bonus DVD contains the music videos for Closer to the Heart, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, The Big Money, and Mystic Rhythms.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    How is the sound quality of the CD and DVD, is it DD 2.0?

Wes

9. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

The DVD is barely worth upgrading from the VHS, to tell you the truth. There are two extra videos that were included on 'The Camera Eye' compilation and a new version of Tom Sawyer in the studio. The 'remastered sound' is nominally better, but I'm waiting for their 'Rush in Rio' DVD later this year. That should be good.

While it is an exciting thing for fans that a Rush DVD is out, it's just a catalogue title for Uni/Mercury.

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'd love to see a DVD of the entire Moving Picture studio sessions. I've seen Vital Signs and Tom Sawyer, so I am hoping there's more footage.

By the way, I am in the middle of Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider, which chronicles his "healing journey" after the deaths of his wife and only child. It is a fascinating account of his 55,000-mile trip (via BMW motorcycle) across and around North America. His literary knowledge and travel experiences are remarkable, and I would recommend this book highly.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I read Ghost Rider and enjoyed it. It seemed silly a bit in that half the book seemed to be letter writing campaigns to his friend Brutus that gets tossed in jail halfway through the book. But it is quite a ride and an interesting read for Neil Peart fans. I thoroughly enjoyed his other book The Masked Rider which is a story of Neil biking through western Africa. I am a bike nut and love touring and Rush so it was a perfect match for me. He seems to understand the joys of slow travel where the point of the journey is not to arrive [​IMG]

Jay