What's new

speaking of new puppies... (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
thanks, that helps me out a bunch right now :)
she seems a bit better, or the other vet is more optomistic

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Better is good. :emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, I didn't mean to turn this into a Kennel vs breeder vs mill thing, just relating my experience with N Wash Kennels. Keep the good news coming! Was fearing the worst from your 'car trip' post.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I was too, time will tell.
the vet was kind enough to tell me the canidae she's been eating is "shit"

I'm going to go visit her tomorrow morning, it's about a 45 minute drive so I can't make it tonight.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about your sick puppy, Philip. (And I always get you Philips in Denver mixed up.)

In pups this age, you always have to worry about viral infections like distemper, bacterial infections, and those pesky auto-immune diseases like puppy strangles. Are her submandibular lymph nodes swollen?

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Both our dogs bought at shops had some sort of medical problems in the first month, seems to be standard these days. The chow's was minor (earmites), the other one got kennel cough and needed some medicine. Both are in great shape now.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

if they are he hasn't mentioned it. MY vet, a very old school guy who I think is more into horses than dogs and kitties has no idea what it is, he's up front about that. He did an x-ray of her chest and there's some swelling or _something_ in there, she's weezing, has a green snotty nose, coughing, but her lungs sound clear. She's running a slight fever, 104 ish.
Now, their vet thinks it's a case of kennel cough, and charges that the antibiotics my vet put her on are either not effective for puppies, or incorrect for this virus(?) that's causing the problem. He's got her off the IV fluids and in a nebulizer with some antibiotics, and seems to think she has a chance but is worried about the labored breathing. Otherwise I guess she's bright and responsive.

So, who to trust, one is a pessimest and thinks it could be distemper of pneumonia, and one thinks it's simple kennel cough and is optomistic. I can say they vaccinated the hell out of her, my vet thinks she's been over-vaccinated.

We'll go visit her in the A.M. and see how she's feeling, seeing us should perk her up a little.

understand the confusion. We seem to have a bunch in common, it's kind of creepy to be honest.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Kennel cough is both very common and very scary. Everyone I know who's gotten a dog at our local shelter has had to deal with it, fortunately none lost their pet to it.

If it's worth anything, I think a vet more oriented toward dogs and cats is likely to handle this better than one who focuses more on livestock.

I also think seeing you will help her, they are very much like children imho and the presence of "mom and dad" can really ease their anxiety and reduce stress which will help with recovery.

Again, hoping and praying for li'l Piper's full recovery.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think this guy is a great vet, but I just think he isn't very experienced with puppies. I also think he's a little too old school and cautious, I felt he should have been more aggresive from day 1, but that's JMO.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

I think its important to choose the vet that you trust the most and makes you feel comfortable in their knowledge and competance. I lucked out with my vet, she's great. Very compationate towards animals and very knowledgable in her field.
So how did the visit go? I have a feeling Piper was glad to see you. Hopefully you'll be bringing her home soon.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
haven't gone yet. Procrastinating I guess :frowning:
I may wait until after the vet calls me around 11.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from a visit, it's a 70 mile round trip :frowning:

anyway she's doing better! not great, but better, less wheezing, almost no coughing, less green snot, but she's really thin and not feeling like eating yet, I drove all over the ghetto looking for some peanut butter and she barely had any at all. Maybe tomorrow she'll feel like eating.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Philip,

I told my friend Sharon about Piper's symptoms yesterday as she had a pup from the shelter develope kennel cough shortly after she got her home.

Almost exact same symptoms--lack of appetite, clear lungs because the problem is in the throat, lots of snot (she likened it to Hooch from Turner and Hooch), generally scary stuff.

Bad news is that it's very contagious so you should keep an eye on any other dogs she's been in contact with or that may have been in contact with you after Piper's coughed on you.

Good news was that Gracie fully recovered after a few weeks of medication.

btw, we don't know what breed Gracie is but she does look a lot like Piper which made Sharon think there's a high probability she's at least part Viszla. (sp?).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Went and saw her again today, she's still not great, but bettr. Breathing better, drinking, not up to eating yet, feels like her temp is back to normal.

The incubation time for kennel cough is usually 3-5 days and it's been 7 for the other pup with no symptoms, I think she'll be fine. Doc said if she has problems to give her some cough medicine and let her fight it off herself.

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
This is what my girlfriend says what to do.

Dawn's advice
Well- kennel cough is self limiting- isolation from other dogs is optimum because it is contagious and passed in the saliva.
I've seen many, many cases- breeders, pet shops, humane societies- it just happens- some take better care of their facilities then others, shelter and societies usually try pretty darn hard to keep it under control, but stress happens too in those situations.
Use of antibiotics for KC needs to be for the bacteria boretella bronchiseptica- which means clavamox or doxycycline- but the doxi's are sometimes not warranted in young pups it's in the tetracycline family- limited amount of time on the drug when animals are young due to bone issues, it can be used however and is usually the most effective.
It's important to break the cough cycle so they can rest comfortably(just like humans who need rest)the vet should determine if the cough is productive or non productive. a dextrmethorphan(robitussen) can be used it's important to use the pediatric formula since it doesn't have other chemicals. Doctors can also prescribe some heavier antitussives- however you don't use antitussives in animals with productive coughs- nebulization and coupage are indicated sometimes in those cases. If the animal is in the hospital- because they need fluids- usually we add vitamin B to the drip, especially if they aren't eating, it's just good supportive care.
You can try some tempting bland diets once the animals are home like boiled hamburger and rice or boiled chicken and rice.
I hope everyone is doing fine- and congratulations to all of you who added new furry friends to your family.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
She's doing MUCH better today. Just got back from another visit and took her out into the parking lot and walked abck and forth 10-20 times, she just followed along wagging her little tail and grinning. Even got her to play a little bit with a rope bone.
Still not eating, and she's incredibly skinny, but I'm hopeful she'll come home tomorrow.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo

I'm glad to hear that.

We lost our dog of 13 years last month to a lung tumour so I will hate to see you go through what we went through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks