What's new

Speakes for Home Theater Only (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
The ULTIMATE: JBL Synthesis

Atlantic Technology - all theater stuff. Me like :D

M&K - more of the same. Me like :D

JBL HT Series (what I own, see the Synthesis link)

Klipsch's up and coming THX Ultra system Picture:

Boston Acoustics BT Big Theater

Definitive Technology - I consider them mostly all cinema related.

Polk Audio - mostly geared towards home theater, but great for 2-channel

AaronJB

Second Unit
JBL's well-regarded S series is still available online at jandr.com and onecall.com for a pretty substancial discount, since the series has been discontinued. I love my new S38IIs.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Shane how much research have you done to this point? What preferences do you have in terms of "sound signature?" How big is your room? What is your budget? Do you have sound volume limitations? These are just a few of the questions you need to consider...and , if you want info from others, you'll need to provide that to those you are seeking info from.

To throw out a general question like "HT speakers?" is a little too broad to create a decent discussion and exchange of information.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I'm not looking to buy, I'm just curious. Kenneth's post is the kind of info I was interested in; just a list of speakers designed for movies.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

So, then, what was the point of this thread? You can also find out more speakers and recommendations by searching through old posts. Usually, a poster will indicate their preference (e.g. - 80% theatre and 20% music). In these cases, look into the recommended speakers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I object to the idea that there are "HT" speakers. If it sounds good for music, it will sound good for HT. There are some crappy speakers with punch that will do good on HT, and fail miserably at music. IMO, the best speakers for you for music, are the best for HT. Speakers are dumb objects, they don't know whether you are feeding them explosions, or violins.

Your question should read: What are some good speakers?

Which is a silly question to ask on a speaker forum devoted to the whole idea....

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Jeez, you guys need to lighten up :) . Read my post. He just wants a LIST of speaker companies that make speaker systems that are suited to home theater.

When I first got into this hobby, I knew nothing, but posts like this (general audio discussions) were very informative because you learned about different companies and all.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm lightened up, i see now my posts sounded crude.

:frowning:

But it is kind of an odd question. It's like asking "who makes a good car for driving?"

We can discuss forever about speakers, some are obviously better than others, and the price ranges are HUGE. People will prefer different kinds of speakers. I think the what speakers do you own thread lists tons of brands.

Well, in typing the post i realized once again the threads I always wanna pull up are on other forums, and vice versa. Anyway, you'll find this useful reading:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n&pagenumber=1

I also distinctly recollect someone compiling such a thread and listing the brands in terms of popularity. Obviously this is not the be-all in terms of best speakers, budget quality will win out every time, as Paradigm by far was the most popular. The really expensive stuff, of course, was more rare. Still, it was interesting. I'm not seeing this compilation though, perhaps it was another thread, or i just skipped past it.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
It was a badly worded question and I did a bad job getting the idea in my head out through the keyboard. No offense taken, tho, as it was an odd thing to ask, I guess.

Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks