Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Knowles, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Steve Knowles

Steve Knowles Auditioning

Good day to all. New to H.T. and even newer to the forum. Just put most of my first HT system together (minus sub). Here's the speaker situation. I have an old (1981-1982) pair of Energy Pro 22's which I am currently using for my mains. I also have an even older pair (late 60's) of JBL S-99's (12 inch woofers) that are in the shop getting re-coned. These have had no signal going to them at all for the last 15 years or so. (I hope they still fire) With my receiver purchase I bought a Polk CS 245i centre which seems to match quite well to the Energys. The receiver claims 100w x 5 (Yamaha 5460) although from other posts I've read this is probably over-rated. Loud enough for me though. 2 Questions - 1. Would the JBLs do a better job as mains than the Energys? I believe both sets of speakers are rated full range at 20-20k. (at least in their day) I know I will probably have to try it both ways but I thought I would get some of your valued opinions first. 2. Should the centre and both pairs be set to "large" in the receiver configuration as there is no sub?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Steve

2. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Well, I'm not familiar with those speakers, as I was a child when they were built/sold. [​IMG] But I would venture to say that their full-range frequency response spec is probably quite generous. Without a sub, yes, you should run them as large speakers. With a sub... well... now you're talking preference. I seriously doubt, as I just said, that these are (still) truly full range speakers. Which means that if you want as close to a flat response as possible, and not "loose" any bass info, you should set them as small in your receiver's setup, and use a good subwoofer.
    However, SOME people prefer the sound they get by running speakers as large, with a sub, even though the speakers only go to say, 35-40Hz or so. In SOME movies, this setup will cause you to loose some low bass info that is sent to the main speakers, and not to the sub. Many movies have a lot of bass info in the 25-40Hz range, that is sent to the main speakers, and not the LFE channel. If you set your mains to "large" then that bass info will be lost with speakers that roll off significantly below 40Hz. (These numbers are all hypothetical, just to make an example.)
    Ideally, you would want a receiver or pre/pro with an adjustable crossover frequency for the bass management, which would allow you to set your crossover to say, 60Hz or so. Your Yamaha receiver has a crossover of 90Hz. Personally, I would say if/when you get a sub, get a good one, and set the speakers to "small." But feel free to play around with the settings, try the JBL's in front and the Energys in back, try setting just the backs as small and the fronts as large, play around with the Yamaha's sub settings (it has a "both" subwoofer setting which if the mains are "large" and everything else is small, sends info

3. Steve Knowles

Steve Knowles Auditioning

Thanks for the info Kieran.

As you can tell by the age of my old equipment I haven't been very active in upgrading my equipment until I recently caught this HT bug. In fact my old Heathkit AR-15 stereo receiver was circa 1968 and put out a thunderous 50w RMS/side.

Aren't the old stereo speakers (pre 90's) set up to handle 20 - 20k as there was no such thing as sub woofers in those days. These old girls are certainly not sheilded for video.

Steve

4. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Steve:
    Looks like you have a couple of classics on your hands, especially the JBL. Makes me wish I still had my KLH model six speakers which were of similar vintage.

While both of your speakers should provide generous bass (according to Audio's October, 1983 annual equipment directory, the specs. for the Energy's show them extending down to 30 hz) they probably won't provide much useable output at 20 hz. Maybe 30-40 hz depending on placement and bass re-enforement from your room. That may be more than adequate to meet your needs.

For whatever its worth, my 12 year old Fried Beta's (bookshelf size speakers) only extend to 50 hz or so but I find the bass sufficient for most of my favorite movies. Like your speakers, the fried's aren't shielded. Despite this I've experienced no picture distortions even thouigh one of the speakers is positioned less than a foot from the TV.

Good luck in setting up your system. Bob