Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CoreyK, May 5, 2002.

1. CoreyK

CoreyK Auditioning

I know you guys are very tired of people saying that they are new to HT well, ya don't get any newer than me. I just recently purchased a new denon 1802 receiver and I am at the point of buying new speakers. The question is .....where do I go from here? I live in an apartment building where my living room is about 20x20 (I think!) And I am going to be splitting my time between music and movies. I love my bass but I also love clarity. My budget is small, $350 for a pair. Should I go will floor standing or book shelf. What brand gives me the most value for my buck? This goes to show you guys my level of the Home Theater thing but I am finding this whole thing very interesting and for my first HT setup I am loving learning the basics. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Hi Corey. Welcome to HTF!

First of all, you suggested that you are looking to buy a pair of speakers. I presume that means a pair of front mains and that for now you have no intention of putting together a complete 5.1 system. $350 is a decent budget for a pair of mains, assuming that is all you are looking at right now.

If you plan to expand to a full 5.1 system eventually (mains, center, surrounds, and subwoofer), then I strongly recommend getting bookshelf speakers now. You will get much better speakers for the money. The are lots of mid-priced, but excellent sounding bookself speakers out there. Paradigm Mini-Monitors are a good choice, as are Axioms, N0rhs, and certain JBL models. Diva 2.1 work well too, but I think they run $400. Any of these speakers will be a good foundation for home theater, and will sound nice for music as well. You won't have terrific base response, but eventually you can add a subwoofer to fill in the bottom end.

If you have no intention of getting a subwoofer and completing a 5.1 system anytime soon, then you might consider a pair of floorstanding towers. However, for $350 you are constrained in going that route. You might want to consider some JBL's. Others are more knowledgeable about JBL models than me.

Anyway, whatever you decide, enjoy your new hobby. If you are like most, you may find out that hanging out here has a way of sucking your wallet clean over time. Just wait and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Get bookshelves, you'll get much better quality at that price range. If you can, buy used, because speakers don't really go bad after a few years of use, and your dollar can go even further that way. The speakers mentioned by Eric are all good suggestions, and I'd recommend you try to go and listen to as many as you can, because your taste in sound and music will be a large factor in deciding what's the right speaker for you.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Eric:-

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Yee. I was in a situation that had me using my PSB Goldi's in my 5.0 system. I must admit they were impressive in their bass output. However, the bass output from your mains and the bass output from a "quality" sub are two different things IMO. It's not just how low the sub & speakers go but how they handle the sub 40hz information.

Once I picked up my sub I quickly set my speaker on the large setting with my sub handling the low frequency information figuring that the mains could handle the 40hz and above information. I have a pretty small room and my sub and full range speakers couldn't share the same space as they were competing hence creating a muddy sound. I experimented with setting my full range speakers to small and BAM there it was. Wider sound stage, clarity, detail with my sub (which is calibrated and EQ'd at the position) handling the bass information. If I had a larger room maybe it would've worked better set to large but I spent my hard earned pennies on a sub that's capable of performing far beyond it's cost so I might as well use it.

** I have since sold my full range speakers for an excellent pair of GR Research AV1+ speakers that gave me the same performance as the PSB's when I had them set to small but IMO, just more of it and better sounding.

Good Luck

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Try getting a pair of good used speakers for that price. Another excellent option would be going the DIY route.

7. CoreyK

CoreyK Auditioning

Thats the thing when you say "GOOD" speakers what do u mean? I am actually leaning towards the Axiom MT22TI'S. Forgive my ignorance but what does DIY stand for? Any input toward the Axiom MT22TI'S?

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

CoreyK, DIY stands for Do-It-Yourself, in other words, building your own speaker enclosures.

9. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i have heard the m22tis are amazing. my friend is getting some this week so i will know for myself soon.

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The axioms tempted me but might be out of price range.

The JBL S38 bookshelfs can be purchased from internet dealers for $313 shipped.

They are my favorite budget speaker on the market. I get a decent sound stage and smooth highs, plus the freedom of height and image positioning.

Find a better deal (like on ebay), then you can add a small Sony sub or something for a 2.1 package under $400.

12. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

axiom has a special deals section where they sell factory seconds with minor blemishes (sound is indentical though, they guarentee that). $320 for the m22s . great deal when they get some more in, they actually ran out of FO m22tis, and even ran out of regular m22tis for a couple of days. my friend got held back a couple of days on his pair because axiom said they ran out.