What's new

Speakers (1 Viewer)

Jason Cajda

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm a newbi when it comes to speakers so i hope you can help me. I just bought a Onkyo 600 receiver from CC and I'm looking to upgrade my speakers now. I have a small listening area I'd say 15 x 12 so I don't need anything really big. I have $600 to spend on a 5 speakers setup this includes the sub. Which brand should I go with JBL,Infinity, Polk.

Thanks

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Check out the JBL NSP-1 Package, The Acoustic Research HC-6
Package the JBL S Series and I am sure others will chime in
with some other great matched packages.

Listen to all if you can.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
For $600 you can get 2 pairs of Paradigm Atoms and a Paradigm CC-170(center channel). These speakers are AMAZING for the price. I don't think that you could do much better.

JonathanOh

Agent
I just ordered some Atoms today for my system (surrounds) so I obviously think they are good, especially for the money.

You are not going to be able to get this setup new with a sub for $600. If you can go without a sub for now, this setup or even the Titans (one size up from the Atoms) is in your reach. You can add the sub later. You can also try to buy used. Check out eBay and audiogon.com. You can find a dealer near you to see if you even like them by going to paradigm.ca

Energy's Take 5 is in your price range and it has received good reviews but I personally did not like them. I would definitely check them out though if I were you.

Of the brands you listed, all of them are fine. You will have to listen to each to determine which one you like best.

JohnKim

Grip
the atoms are great.. but just like they said, you'd ahve to go without a sub with taht budget..

otherwise...

i'd suggest going with the jbl nsp-1 package for around $225 online (give or take some money ) and possibly stretching your budget just a smidgen for a b-stock Hsu VTF-2 for $399 shipped tahts going on right now, people say the blemishes wouldn't even be minded if they bought them new, which bodes well for this deal. which should put you just past $600 depending on how good of a deal you find o nthe jbl's but i actually prefer the jbl n24'[s to my mirage avs 200's which are sonicallyvery very close to their cousins, teh energy take (2) because of the bigger soundstage and comparable performance.

if you dont want to spring for teh hsu, i'd also recommend teh infinity il-120 remanufactured straight from harmonkardon (infinity's coporate mother) off of ebay which still has teh original manufacturer's warranty, theyre' going for around $325-$350 i believe and its a very nice sub, which even competes well against teh hsu vtf-2 which would be more comfortable for your budget, and allowing you some more money for wire and such.

i think these are great ways to spend that budget, especially since the sub is probably the most important -speaker- in a HT setup in terms of budget concern.

best of luck!

Jason Cajda

Auditioning
After looking over various models and brands when it comes to complete systems I think I have desided to go in a different direction. I will by a couple pieces at a time and want to how is the axiom brand good. I guess what I'm asking is I would like to spend about 600 on either two front or surround speakers and either a center or a sub and other then the sub are axiom speakers a good buy.
Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Can't comment on axiom, but those atoms are amazing. Take a listen, dealers are not *too* hard too find, i think paradigm has a dealer locator on their website, as do most brands.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Jason,

I can say "yes" the Axioms offer great value.

Make sure you listen to a lot of speakers so you know the sound you like.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Both the Axioms and Ascends will beat the Atoms(at $180 they are a great value in their own right) but they also cost more.

I'll second Curtis in saying get out and listen to speakers and find out what sound you prefer.

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
I will have to echo earlier posts advising you to go out and audition different speakers. I've found that there are a lot of quality speakers that appeal to different individuals. People here will be glad to recommend good products....but the actual sound of these will be highly subjective. I suggest that you do the following:

1) make a list of some of the brands recommended here.
(you can do a search on "What speakers do you own?")

2) find the speaker model from each brand that fits your budget.
3) try to audition the speakers with music/movies that you are familar with and will more than likely listen to.

Finding a quality speaker is not that hard, but finding your prefered 'sound' will require a bit of legwork.

Sean

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Check out the Axioms and Ascends and if you can swing the $$ the Onix Rockets as well. All are fine speakers and will give any of the store brands a bigger bang for their buck. That is just my opinion so please no flaming from the Klipsch or Paradigm crowd please. They are also good speakers.

yung cheng

Grip
Hsu's 5 channel + SFT8 package for $499
or upgarde to SFT10 for extra $110

SFT8
8" - 32Hz - $330

SFT10
10" - 25Hz - $440

SFT12
12" - 22Hz - $610

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks