What's new

Speakers... (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Does it hurts your speakers to take off the face plate things (I don't know what they are called, but they easily just pop off the unit). I was curious, because I think a lot of speakers look really good when you can see it pumping out the music, rather than looking just at that face plate?
Any help is appreciated :D
Abel

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey...if ya wanna take the grills off..go for it.

Just remember they will get more dusty, and possibly get damaged easier without the grill there to protect them.

Good luck!

Alfer

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, but if I dust them once a day, and make sure they are ok, will it be all right?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The dust won’t hurt anything, Abel – it’s just an appearance consideration.

Actually you might find that the sound improves with the grills off. I can tell a difference with mine – more detailed highs, since the sound doesn’t have to push through that grill cloth. If you don’t have any “protection” issues – i.e., no children or pets – there’s really no reason not to leave them off.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Aside from looking good most speakers sound better with the grills taken off. Careful though because some companies (Paradigm) design their speakers to sound better with the grills on. But otherwise no harm no foul.

AbelM

Second Unit
Very cool guys', I really appreciate it...I got Bose 301's and wanted to know if I could do this!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
:frowning:
Put your flame suit on....
Don't worry about the grilles on those. I don't think they even listen to how they sound before they leave the factory, let alone take into account the grill... I say leave em off and let the cat poke holes through the drivers. It'll make the sound more transparent. :frowning:

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Bose are not very highly-regarded here. No matter what you've heard from your buddies who suddenly think they are the gurus of Hi-Fi because they bought a Bose system, Bose speakers are poorly made and use cheap tricks to fool your ears. These cheap tricks mangle and distort the sound. Bose systems do not produce even frequency response. There are measurements that have been done by reviewing magazines that prove this. Bose speakers are also poorly-made out of cheap materials. They will do for casual listening and pumping the volume, but if you really want true sound quality you should look at something else and sell your Bose to one of your buddies.

Look into brands like Klipsch and Paradigm, Definitive and Dahlquist should you decide to replace your Bose. All these brands make some nice-sounding speakers that are light-years past the Bose in terms of sound quality and technology. Little cone tweeters are only used in budget mini-systems anymore. Any true Hi-Fi speaker uses a dome tweeter, and some speakers even use a vibrating ribbon.

That said, I think the 301s are the best and most viable smaller speaker Bose sells. Acoustimass is bad news. Bose also have another good thing going for them: they keep their resale value. I understand they take a high price on eBay.

That's it. You can no longer claim ignorance. You are now one of the few and the educated as far as Bose products go. The next step is to get a pair of speakers from one of the brands I mentioned above and listen to them side-by-side with the Bose. Listen for clarity of the treble (not harshness) and tight, defined bass that you get with true high-fidelity speakers, not just one designed to impress the average consumer.

Best of luck to you...

~Rory

Rex Quinn

Agent
Man, way to trash his purchase. You're just as bad as the Bose enthusiests when it comes to preaching your opinion. Well, in this case, opinion is fact, but still, it's not really your place to tell him what speakers to buy in a thread inquiering about speaker grilles :P

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and Abel, sry bout my original post, that came out WAY to vicious also... :frowning: I was actually pretty angry because I was having a very long argument over Bose, with someone, so I just vented. I apologize.
YOu know, you make the argument long enough, you think everyone has hear it already, so you just start to get peeved. Anyway, at least you've been saved from the dark side. ;) I say, don't worry in the least bit about the grilles on those. I for one, can't tell the difference with the grills on or off on my paradigm mini-monitors. I don't think you really would notice such subtle differences until you're even quite further up into the high end. Leave the grilles on, but do as I did with my old Bose speakers (that my parents also bought, not my fault). Remove the Bose placard on the grille. That way you don't look like an idiot. :) So, the dust argument is moot, it wont hurt squat, those drivers are beyond repair already, so if it looks cooler with the grille off, go for it. If not, do it the other way.
Some day, I'll design my own little placard for them to say Dynaudio, or B&W or something, just for kicks, cause every time I look at those peices of crap I feel like it's almost better to revert to the single, all freq. mono driver thats mounted in the rear of my TV. :)
I'm surprised Bose hasn't gotten sued for faulty products. Surely, they claim they build speakers and HT systems. I've not heard any real sounds out of mine for a looooong time. Every voice sounds like Larry King.....

Rex Quinn

Agent
Well in this case then, with the "accidental" Bose owners, I guess the best thing to do is shake your fist at the "speakers" whenever you walk by them :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks