Speakers working only Half Way

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Jordan, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Brett Jordan

Brett Jordan Auditioning

Hi, I have a Sony STR-K840P Reciever. When using the small Sony speakers it works fine, but with my Technic floor speakers, it will not play out of the two subs in them. I have tried changing all the setting, and I can get the suns to work only about half way. Any suggestions or question please ask or tell.

Thanks

2. Robert N.

Robert N. Auditioning

I'm no expert but I'll give it a shot...

Are you routing the speakers through an external subwoofer? If you are most of them have high pass filters which eliminate all frequencies below whatever it is set at from the factory...

If not...then maybe you have a filter turned on your reciever or something?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

brett - i think we need a little more info. [​IMG]
    if i understand your post, your saying you have no problems using the small speakers, but you're not getting any bass out of the technics? what do you mean they only work half the time?
    do you have only one set of speaker connections in the back of the technics? if there are four connections, is there a metallic bar connecting two pair?
    how do you have the speakers connected to the receiver? like robert said, is there a sub in the signal path?
    describe when the technics "work" and when they don't "work" correctly.

4. Brett Jordan

Brett Jordan Auditioning

Ok, The sony reciever has all the speaker outs, and a separate out for the sub woofer i am using. i guess "working half way" is wrong, but the tweeter and the midrange work fine, the subs do not put out at all.
    there are just the standard two wire conections in the back of the floors. i have played these speakers on another system, and they work fine, but will not put out low range through the sony reciever.
    thanks again, and im sure you will need some more info [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your bass management settings are wrong. You most likely have your mains set to small, and they are being filtered with a high pass filter, as Robert N said in the first response. If you are not using a sub, you need to set your main speakers to LARGE. If you are using a sub, you need to tell the receiver you have a sub, setting your mains to large will not benefit you very much.

Your smaller speakers cannot reproduce the lower frequencies, so they sound "normal" when hooked up instead.

The drivers in your large speaker are not "subs". A sub typically handles the lowest octave, which no main speakers, including floorstanders, normally do.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm still slightly confused - no surprise there. when you say "sub" do you mean the woofer (the biggest driver) on the technics speakers? or, do you have a dedicated subwoofer?
    so you do have a sub connected via the subwoofer output on the receiver? and all your other speakers are connected via the speaker terminals on the receiver?
    then, as john said, you need to ensure that your receiver "knows" that a subwoofer is connected. typically, by setting the speakers to 'small', the receiver will know to send all the low-frequencies (probably below 80hz) to the sub instead.
    that will allow the sub to "do all the work" and let your main speakers concentrate on the upper frequencies - which they do better at. in general, speakers aren't so good at reproducing the lower frequences - hence the need for a sub.
    btw - read the beginner's FAQ link at the top of this forum - it has some really good info on this kind of stuff.
    [​IMG]