What's new

Speakers with subs (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to find speakers with subs in them for extra thump, and if so is it worth it.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Chuck, Welcome to the HTF
If your asking what I think you are asking, the simple answer is to get full range tower speakers. Most of it will depend on price budget. What type of speakers do you have that are unsatisfactory in the bass dept.???

IMO a 20-20k flat response speaker is prefered. but its hard to find a good flat response [inexpensive] speaker.
maybe you should try the DIY path.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Here are just a few links to brands known for integrating powered drivers into their speakers. There are good and bad reasons for buying this type of speaker and I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. If you have the opportunity, audition the speakers in your home.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paradigm no longer makes any main speakers with powered drivers. The Active series was discontinued almost a year ago.

Might want to ask in the "speakers" forum instead....

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Forgot about Klipsch and Boston! Thanks.

Paradigm no longer makes any main speakers with powered drivers. The Active series was discontinued almost a year ago.
Well, the Monitor 90p is still available. The active series were fully active. The Monitor 90p just has three 8" drivers powered by an internal 500w amp.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Camp stole my thunder. :)
Yes, the Paradigm MONITOR 90P ver.3 is still being made by Paradigm. I owned them for about two months and they are real nice speakers. Had a great thump to them and actually, rattled my windows on occasion. However, they also do more then just thump. I found them pleasing for music and also HT.
There are pro/con's of having a self powered sub/driver in speakers as you know. I'm sure those other threads will cover the basics.
Some 90P ver. 2 reviews.
Link Removed
http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Spea...6_1594crx.aspx

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
I'll make your decision a little more difficult. Multiple subs can cancel each other out and calibrating them can be tough (actually, a HUGE pain in the tush). Since the "punch" part of bass is around 80-100hz, multiple subs might not be the answer. You might do just as well with 2 full-range speakers with decent amplification and the bass turned up.

Is this system primarily for music or home theater? How large is your room? What is your system? How much money do you have to spend?

Before I upgraded my system I have a pair of original def tech BP10s run off of an old 70 watt receiver. Those speakers could really hit (Beastie Boys, Sir Mixalot, etc...) especially with the bass turned up a little. Now I run them crossed-over around 70Hz via a digital receiver (with DPLII) and have a SVS 25-31PCi. I calibrated my system with a test DVD and a SPL meter. The punch is the same but the range has been extended. Until it was calibrated I had a pretty large dip around 80Hz, probably due to a bit of phase cancellation. I can't imagine how long it would have taken when trying to callibrate 2 subs.

Good luck and have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks