Speakers With Built-in Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Laporte, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Chris Laporte

Chris Laporte Auditioning

My fiancé got tired of my cinder blocks and pine boards and made me get an entertainment center. [​IMG]
    Problem is that there is not enough room left over. The only way to get things to fit was to put my right speaker on top of the sub. What's the general consensus on speakers with built-in subs?
    I've looked online and seen these:
    Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series T500
    and
    Cambridge SoundWorks Newton TheaterT300
    Right now I use a 100 watt powered sub in my 21 X 11 room. The tv and sofa are on the long walls but I have a door on one end and a hallway on the other. If I go this route how much sub power would you recommend?
    Thanks

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I own the CSW T-500's and I must say that they have consistently exceed my expectations. The speakers easily bested the Polk LSI-25's in a speaker shootout I conducted about a month ago. The highs and mids are dead on accurate and the bass output is almost scary! Before My VTF-3 arrived, the T-500's provided a massive sound stage for movies and had no problem approaching reference levels. I was skeptical when I first ordered them...you really need to give them a try..I love mine. If you are considering a complete Home theater package..The MC500 center is really stout,as well! I did not like the S300 tripoles. When you selected either BI-pole oe DI-pole the front speakers turned off completely and that was the only array that housed the tweeter...bad design. I committed a cardinal sin and went with a different brand for the surrounds...the Definitive Technology BPX's. These are the most robust surrounds I have ever heard! Getting back to the T-500's, I will even say in some respects they are as "fun" to listen to as my B&W 802's I have in the main room!!!!

Mike Sloan

3. Chris Laporte

Thanks.
    How about hooking them up? I have a single sub out on my ES receiver. Can I run the powered subs off that by splitting it?

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

First of all, what is your budget. Second, speakers with powered subs won't do well at all boxed inside an entertainment center. And yes, you can split it. But most let you hook them up with speaker cable, and you let the internal crossovers do the work rather than going through the line-level. That is if that's a problem for you.

5. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

The best way to run the T-500's is to just hook them up with speaker wire and set them to large. In the receiver set up select no subwoofer...which will then send LFE to speakers. Both T-500's will have about the same output as one VTF-3 in the low bass department! You may find that they provide all the bass you need! If you want to utilize them with an additional sub...just use a Y-connector on the sub-out from your receiver and run a line to an outboard sub and a line to one of the T-500's. You then run an additional line (daisy chain) from one T500 to the other. In this config. don't forget to select sub on in setup menu. I did this with the VTF-3 and the bass is massive with incredible slam!

The T500's are 48" high and need space to breath..these should not go into and entertainment center...they are free standing. The MC500's, on the other hand,can be used in the cabinet for both center and mains. Have almost the same drivers as the 500's minus internal sub woofers. How will you be setting this up? Describe your limitations.

6. Chris Laporte

Thanks for the replies. The speakers aren't going into the entertainment, just next to it. I just don't have the room to also place a sub there.
    Running cable for different sub placement would involve cutting sheetrock (because of design of walls/ceiling) and a run of about 30'. Not an option if I can get good bass from the built-in subs. (Besides, I'd love to get rid of the Bose). I didn't build a new stand for the left speaker because I plan on getting rid of the speakers.
    My budget is $2500 and my main concern with the connections is getting ample bass from the speakers.
    Here is a pic. Please excuse the photochop skills. We tried moving the small cabinet to different parts of the room but it looks/fits best here.
    [​IMG]

7. Chris Laporte

One more question for Mike Sloan;
    Do you face the subs in towards the TV or out away from the TV?
    Thanks again.

8. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I tried it both ways and found that it sounded the best with the subs pointing towards the tv. If you decide on the T500's feel free to call oe E-mail me on set-up. The manual can get confusing in some places.
    Mike
    [email protected]