Speakers with 6 ohm nominal impedance...is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Go, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

Aug 6, 2001
    I am looking for outdoor speakers to be powered by the "B" switch of my Onkyo receiver 595. I am leaning towards the NHT Outdoor Ones which I can get for about $230 a pair. I like the 6" woofer on these. The issue is the nominal impedance. See this (from Crutchfield):

Key Features:

customized mounting bracket and isolation base

frequency response 57-21,000 Hz (±3dB)

6-ohm impedance

sensitivity 88 dB

each handles up to 150 watts

black or white finish

11-3/4"H x 7-5/16"W x 7-1/2"D

warranty: 5 years

Although the NHT website says 8 ohm impedance. Does this 6 or 8 impedance matter? ALL of the other speakers in this category (Polk Atrium, Klipsch SA-1, Boston Acoustics Voyager Pro) are at 8 ohm.

Bottom line, is this an issue? THANKS.
  2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Nov 28, 2000
    No, it's not an issue at all. BTW, the Crutchfield site is likely wrong. I would go with the manufacturer's site.

The difference between 6 and 8 nominal Ohms to a receiver is not going to matter. The 595 is a quality receiver, so should be fine. It does have that 4 Ohm setting, but you won't need it if all the other speakers hooked up to it are 8 Ohms.
  3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Feb 2, 2001
    just to back what was said up...I have had OHM FRS5 speakers for 11 yrs now..they are 6ohm speakers...I have ran them on many units ...most of wich are standard 8ohm units and have had no issues.... they are on a pioneer 509s right now with no issues...so dont worry about 6ohm speakers too much