1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers w/ Built-In Powered Subs (Deft Tech 200xTL) in a large room?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gary D. Gray, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Gary D. Gray

Gary D. Gray Auditioning

I am about to upgrade the six speakers in my 5.1 setup and was hoping to get some advice. I have the following three considerations.

1. As my home theater is about to become a nursery, I have to move my theater set-up from a small (~10'x12') dedicated room into my much larger, oddly shaped den. The den is about half of a ~18'x24' room that consists of my den, dining room, foyer with two half walls separating rooms. Long story short, I have a visually pleasing room that I am sure has terrible acoustics but is my only choice for home theater.

2. When I dragged my wife out to view some speaker options, a sales guy introduced her to the concept of towers w/ built-in subwoofers (she was looking at - not listening to, mind you - the Def Tech 2000TL series). The sales guy told her that with these speakers, the "hideous black box in the corner wouldn't be necessary." She instantly found a favorite, and I realized that I should have left her at home.

3. My current B&W CC6/DM602/LM1 setup has served me very well for years, but I am looking to upgrade (budget about $2,500). I have a dog and a kid is in the future, so I want the stability of floorstanding speakers - rather than bookshelves on stands. Also, wall-mounted rears are mandatory.

I was listening to a Def Tech set-up that includes a CLR2300 center, 2002TL fronts, and BP2x rears and was very impressed. Granted, it was only my first audition. The system is within my budget, but I am somewhat skeptical of speakers with built-in subwoofers (even the center had a built-in sub). My system is primarily used for movies, and I like low frequency activity as much as the next guy (but rocking the house is not a requirement). How much LF performance would I be giving up by going with a system such as this? Given my situation, what other particular speakers/systems should I consider in my auditions? A free-standing sub is an option, but a happy wife would be preferred. Can any Def Tech 200xTL owners offer insight?

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well I work at a shop that sells def tech. They sound pretty ok. But if you listen to more music I would recommend something else. Now as you said, if you watch more movies these are great. The subs just arnt very musical. They are pretty in your face.

3. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Gary:

Speakers with built in subs - usually called "powered" speakers - have some advantages. They can give you 90% of the full range experience for music and HT in a WAF pleasing way and can be great for HiRes (DVD-A or SACD) music.

However, since the front L/R position is usually not the best place for subs, you give up some bass extension and reinforcement. In most rooms, only a separate sub will give you that "rock the house" feeling.

I have powered Infinity Intermezzos that I use for music with no sub. But, for Terminator 3, on comes the sub.

Regards,

John

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well then don't buy a hideous black box. There are COUNTLESS awesome looking subs that are available.

Oh by the way, the best audio rig I've heard was a full Def Tech powered tower set up...can't recall which models they were though.

5. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

When I was using Def Tech BP 2000s (with 15 inch "built in powered subs") as my main HT speakers, trying to coax the deepest bass out of Def Techs meant trying to drive them beyond their capabilities, with unpleasing results. I could make the Def Techs go louder, but not deeper. I finally realized that to get the deepest bass with sufficient impact, I still needed a separate subwoofer optimally placed. After adding the stand-alone sub, a Velodyne FSR-18, the whole system was in better balance since the Def Techs were no longer being over-driven, and the lowest bass finally came through with authority.

Good luck coming up with an arrangement that will satisfy your need for bass as well as the WAF. :>)