speakers to pair with a HK325

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jen-x, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Jen-x

Jen-x Auditioning

I am getting the HK325 but am not sure what speakers I should get. I would like to stay around the $500 range on the speakers if possible. I would appreciate any suggestions. I was looking at the JBL SCS160SI at Best Buy but am not sure about them.

2. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Jen-x,

Are you looking for one pair of speakers or a 5.1 set-up?

What's the size of the room?

Mostly music or HT?

Types of music you'll be listening to?

Do you want floorstanders or "bookshelf" speakers and are there any size limits?

3. Jen-x

Jen-x Auditioning

I am looking for a surround sound system(5.1 or 6.1) with bookshelf or satellites. The room is about 15x20. I will be listening to hip hop music mainly, and watching movies also.

4. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

Jen-x,

I have Polk RTi38 bookshelf speakers for fronts, RTi28's for rears, and the CSi30 center channel with my H/K AVR225. I was able to get the whole set of speakers for ~$500. They were replaced by a new line of Polk speakers so Circuit City used to have them for some very good deals... you can probably still find them on Crutchfield for reduced prices. I ordered mine from Crutchfield because I had some coupons. While Crutchfield is usually overpriced, if you can find deals there, it's definitely nice to buy from... they have great support and throw in a lot of extras with your order - maybe even free shipping.

I know some people on this forum, namely ChrisLazarko, like to pair Klipsch with H/K... maybe he will see this and post a suggestion from their line. [​IMG]

You'll definitely want to pick up a subwoofer to go along with the setup, though, especially because you listen to hip hop.

Hope this helps!

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Thanks Matt. Jen-X, HK recievers are said to be warm and I find them to be on the warm "comforting" side. One reason I liked the HK was because it paired well with my Klipsch, basically gave them a bright/warm feeling in my opinion, if that makes any sense to you.

For a lower-end price range the four companies that I would personally look at would be Klipsch, JBL, Athena, and Polk.

Subwoofer is a whole other story in itself... Unfortunatly a "high quality" subwoofer can't be found for around anywhere less than perhaps $300. www.partsexpress.com carries some budget subs that work very well, namely the Dayton ones, check them out.

Just from experience and shopping around and setting up other systems I like Klipsch and JBL paired best with HK recievers.

Good luck, and happy shoppin'.

6. Jen-x

Jen-x Auditioning

I have heard some good things about the JBL NSP1 speakers on the forum. Is this true? If I went with speakers in this price range I could put more money towards a good subwoofer. Any thoughts on this idea?

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yes those are good. Check out the Klipsch Quintets and the Athena Micro while your at it, as well as Polk offers some good products. Make sure you try several or else you might end up being unhappy with what you buy...

8. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Jen,

For $500, you can add the following to your list of speakers/sub to look at:

1. HSU ventriloquist ($299 for 6 speakers, and $200 (I think for the STF1 sub)
    2. Hometheaterdirect Middies (5.1 for $499)
    3. AV123's Rocket Tykes (5.1 for $499...not sure when the shipping date is).