What's new

Speakers to match SVS 20-39 pci and Sony STR-DA4ES (1 Viewer)

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone, first post here. After lurking and reading around for the past few weeks I have decided on getting the Sony STR-DA4ES receiver and SVS 20-39 pci subwoofer. Im looking for decently priced speakers to match up. Here are the 2 choices so far:

1. Energy Take 2.2/1.2 speakers
2. JBL NSP1 center and surrounds

Are these good choices or am I matching up really cheap speakers with the Sony receiver and SVS sub? Any other suggestions? Whatever I choose Im going to buy 2 extra speakers to make a 7+1 speaker system

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I am pairing up a Sony DA4ES, which i will be purchasing this coming tuesday, a SVS 20-39 PC Plus, JBL S-centerII, JBL S38II mains, and JBL S36II rears. I am upgrading my reciever from a Yamaha HTR-5490, which i really would not reccomend. I demo'd the DA4ES today at a local hi-fi shop, and it was simply amazing. The auto decode feature is great, the remote is amazing. Wonderful clear sound, great price on a 7.1 receiver (i am planning on upgrading later on), cant go wrong with the setup. I dont have any experience with the Energy take speakers, so i cant comment on those, but JBL makes great stuff :).
As for pairing up cheaper speakers with the sony receiver and the SVS sub, this does seem to be the case. Your budget must be pretty decent considering youre picking up a DA4ES and a 20-39 pci, so i would definitely go higher end on the main, center, and surrounds.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think, you will have a very good sub, a good reciever (sony has recieve good reviews lately).

But the speakers will be your weak piont. Both the NSP1 and Energy take are very good. But I think if you check JBL Studio series, or Axiom speakers, you will have a better combination.

What is your budget?
What are your room dimensions?
Are you going to use it more for movies or music?

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Well I wanted to stay around $1500 if I could. However I wanted a receiver with 7.1 capability. I could also get the Sony sub but there are so many praises on the SVS that I figure its a must get. Will better speakers and a cheaper sub make a better all around impact?

It will be used for about 75% HT and 25% music. My room dimensions are about 13X20 with the TV and HT setup along the longer wall with the kitchen and breakfast nook behind me.

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
I started looking around the net and found these on Ebay.

KLIPSCH QUINET & KSC-C1 SPEAKER SYSTEM for $260

Are these in the same class as the Energy or JBL's I have posted above?

Thanks again

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
...the Sony STR-DA4ES receiver and SVS 20-39 pci subwoofer. Im looking for decently priced speakers to match up.
I actually have the DA4ES with the Take 5.2 and the Energy S10.2. I have been very happy with the Take 5.2 speakers and the Sony 4ES. The remote is incredible the sound is great and I love how capable it is! I think you will really like the 4ES.

That said I wish I had the foresight you had and got an SVS to begin with. I am looking at returning the S10.2 and getting a SVS 20-39PCi... and even tempted to see if it is possible to somehow squeeze in a 20-39PC+ even though my budget is pretty price sensitive at this point. I really like the adjustability of the PC+ and feel that it would be able to integrate into whatever I choose to add / change in my system in the future. Not to mention DEFINITELY be one INCREDIBLE sub!

All that said I don't think you would be disappointed with the energy Take 5.2 (4-2.2s and one 1.2) setup and then picking up two additional 2.2s for the rear channel... But there may be others out there who disagree.

Just my 2 cents.

Matthew

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Great receiver and great sub.

I demoed both the the Energy and and JBL N-series. I felt the JBL were the clear winners. The Energy's just lacked life. I ended up getting choosing the N26, N24, and NCenter.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Daniel,
In the $1,500 I would look elsewhere. Probably look at Paradigm, PSB, Definitive Technology, and B&W for starters. Factory direct speakers in your range include Axiom, Ascend Acoustics, nOrh, Swan Diva or Rocket, and ACI. DIY speakers, such as the ones available from GR Research, are also well within your price range.

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
Woops, sorry Bryan. I meant $1500 for the whole system
I think I decided what im going to do. Im going to buy the JBL NSP1 for my 4 surrounds and center then get the N28's and use those as my mains. Then later on I'll upgrade my speakers when I get more "acquainted" with audio and HT systems.
I shouldnt have a timbre problem by doing this correct? They are all JBL and more or less the same speaker...I think :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Bryan,

I think with $1500 for reciever and speakers, he wont be able to go to those brands. Specially if he wants a 7.1 reciever. But I might be wrong.

But for me the NSP1 is good entry level system, pair with Sony STR-DA4ES receiver and SVS 20-39 pci subwoofer, and adding some N28 or N38 will be even better.

I think the STRDA4ES you will find it for $850
JBL NSP1 for $210
SVS 20-39 PCi $550

And N28 for $170
N38 for $99 each = $200

TOTAL = 850+210+550+200= $1,710 (Without shipping), maybe you could consider STRDA2ES ($570) with only 6.1 but you could lower your budget $300 so you will be around $1410 + shipping you be in $1500.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

DanielN

Stunt Coordinator
My calculations came about that Pablo. Im sure I can squeeze another couple hundred dollars out of my wife ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks