Speakers to match Classe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamie R, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Jamie R

Jamie R Auditioning

I am considering purchasing a Classe CAV 150 and SSP 30 and was wondering what are the best speakers to match with this set up.

I know that a number of people on this forum recommend B&W's but was wondering what other suggestions people might have - I'm also considering Dynaudio, Thiel.

Cheers

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

B&W seems like the natural choice. Of course, if you have the means, consider the Dynaudio Contours too. I've never heard Thiels before so I can't comment on them.

3. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Personally speaking, I think you should first select your speakers and then choose an appropriate amp to drive them.

5. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

B&W's would be a good match. I also suggest checking out Thiels. I recently listened to their new CS 1.6s and absolutely loved them. I plan to add them to my system next year. As Thiels go, they are fairly efficient at 90 dB so the CAV-150 should work fine. I wouldn't recommend going any higher in the Thiel line with that amp though as they become much less efficient and really need a very solid, powerful amp to make them sing. I noticed Thiel recommends running most of the speakers with amps between 100-400W. Not many manufacturers recommend a minimum of 100W.

I happened to listen to them being run by a Mac MC 352 (350 wpc) and they are fantastic. FWIW, I also recently listened to a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s being run by Krell electronics and I'd take the Thiels over them.

I currently own a pair of Maggies also mentioned above. I really like them but need a speaker that is more WAF friendly asthetically. The look on my wife's face when she came home and saw the Maggies for the first time was absolutely priceless. She immediately had to go buy new couches.

6. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

Since the CAV 150 runs 150 watts time 6 or 300 watts times 3, there is not much you cant run with this amp.

I really like the NHT 3.3,2.9s and the B&W naut. series products with this amp. I do not like Thiels with this amp since they tend to be laid back to begin with. System synergy is important, so listen before you buy. BTW, you can get nearly new/new NHT 3.3 & 2.9 can be had for 1500.00 to 2200.00 and sound better than most for 5000.00 range.

I have this amp and NHT 2.9s and love the combo. I am considering the B&W 802 or the NHT 3.3 to add to my combo. Check it out for yourself.

7. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

IMO, I'd agree with Chu on this. 'Voice your speakers', as opposed to the other way around (unless these particular components offer something unavailable in your price range or geographic region). The reasoning behind this is that speakers, supposedly, have more of an impact on what you perceive as 'good sound' than do amplification/source components.
    (BTW, I know a few folks that love the Classe and Magnepan combo [​IMG] )

8. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I too agree with Chu! your speakers Imo are the most important and influential part of your system and it is important to pair up great speakers with a great amp and pre pro. Most of us around here start with the speakers first, But on the other hand classe can make most speakers sound awesome[​IMG] Happy hunting
    Bob

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Indeed, while not being totally familiar with the Classe's, you may well find you've selected a speaker that really does it for you and that perhaps you need to choose a different amp based on price considerations. They do seem to have adequate power at 4 ohms. Is just that to me, maybe not you, I'd find my speakers first for that's where the sound comes from. Knock yourself out though, it's certainly fun listening to speakers!

10. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

11. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

How big is the room? What do you listen to?

-rob

12. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Look at AAD, Soliloquy, and VMPS.
    AAD and Soliloquy not only sound great but look incredible
    http://www.aadsound.com
    VMPS sound the best, and offer the best performance value.
    www.vmpsaudio.com
    John

13. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

The Classe products would probably do fine with any of the speakers you are considering. In fact, I have used Classe separates to drive Thiel cs.5 speakers and was very satisfied with the sound. However, I should point out that I've also used a mid price integrated Luxman amp and a dirt cheap Pioneer receiver to drive the Thiels and achieved sonic performance equal to the Classe gear.

Bob