Speakers to go with my SVS PB2+

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonIs, Jun 23, 2003.

1. JasonIs

JasonIs Agent

Any ideas on a good set of floor standing speakers to go with the SVS PB2+. I ordered the PB2+ 2 1/2 weeks ago, so it should be here soon. I have a set of Athenas AS-F2, from best buy but I am thinking of taking them back. I have the hardman kardon avr 525 receiver, and I am thinking of taking it back and ordering the outlaw 950/7100 separates. I think the SVS PB2+ will be my foundation and I will build around it. Any experiences blending pieces with the PB2+ would be much appreciated.

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Klipsch! [​IMG]

I have them, SVS has them, you should have them too! [​IMG]

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Harris is right - the Klipsch Reference speakers he owns are very fine. But really any decent speaker will go just fine with the PB2+.

Everyone who has heard my PB2+ on music remarks how much it sounds like the instrument (kick drum, bass guitar, organ, etc.) rather than a subwoofer. Maybe it has something to do with the exceptionally low distortion the dual driver configuration provides.

Properly calibrated (that means near flat for music) it draws no attention to itself and simply plays the bass the way it was recorded and intended.

I think set-up, location, and calibration should be higher on your list than worrying about what brand of speaks will blend best with the PB2+. Get whatever speaks sound the best to your ears and the PB2+ will live happily with them.

Regards,

Ed

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Jason,

Ed is absolutely correct, when the sub is properly calibrated it will blend in and it really won't matter what mains you're running. Just go with the speakers that sound best to you.

That being said since you're obviously looking at a lot of internet direct companies, check out the Onix Rockets. I'm currently running them (750,200,300,150) with my PB-2+ and Outlaw 950/7100 combo and IMHO it is awesome.

Check out audioenvy to see if there are any owners near you willing to provide an audition. If there aren't any there, also check out the av123 website, there are a good number of owners there that aren't necessarily listed on audioenvy.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I still love and recommend Def Tech speakers. I would recommend the BP 30s, CLR 2000 and BPVX. They are great sound speakers. I you have a local dealer they are definitely worth a listen.

I agree that no matter what speakers you get the PB2-+ is going to make them sound even better.

Parker

7. Alex Prosak

8. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Jason, I would have to pine in here for the Rocket loudspeakers. They are a great match with my B4+. The Rockets are just some of the best speakers around for the price. Not only do they sound phenominal, they are pretty as all hell. Check out my system.

http://slaggbot.0catch.com/Home%20Theater%20Page.html

9. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

10. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff

11. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

Give av123 a call, they might be able to create a custom package for you, also, right now they have show specials and they knock off a few hundred $$ off a system or give u a major discount on their new SUB...

12. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Arthur's right, Alex. AV123 can put different packages together w/package pricing intact.

RE: RS750 vs. RS550 - well that's a matter of taste. Many have reported preferrring the sound of the RS550 (reported as beeing slightly brighter).

RE: Bass performance of the RS750 - well, you've got to hear it (or better feel it) to appreciate it. They have terrific "slam" in their frequency range. In fact, to preserve that, I'm running mine "large" (I know, I know, not good per conventional HT wisdom, but I've got seperate amps so nothing is getting starved for power or distorting and, well, I LIKE it that way [​IMG] )

If you can audition some, do so! www.audioenvy.com

Your selection of the SVS PB2 is awesome!! I've got dual SVS Ultras and have a bit of an idea what you're in for!!

FanTasTic!!

Gordon

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jason:

Absolutely go with the Outlaw 950/7100 combo. You are going to love it.

As far as speakers go the best thing to do is audition them. I suggest that you listed to the Klipsch reference as mentioned if you can, the Rockets and the Axiom line of speakers. The Rockets and Axiom line can be returned if you don't like the way they sound. I would take the time to audition some speakers locally if you can so that you get a good idea of the sound you like from a set of speakers. This is a very personal and subjective thing so what sounds good to others may sound terrible to you and visa vera.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Parker

14. Alex Prosak

Alex,

The reason I went for the 750s over the 550s is for 2CH listening. I prefer their slightly laid back presentation and their mids are incredible. I also knew it would be awhile before I was able to add a sub and 750s have incredible slam. There were times when I could have sworn a sub was hooked up. The 550s are tipped up a bit more in the highs, more like the 200 center channel, but their mids aren't quite as good as the 750s. One of the benefits of the laid back character of the 750s is you can listen to them for hours without ear fatigue. Don't think that because they're laid back they lack detail, I've heard things on the 750s that I've never heard with my Maggies upstairs. Their both great speakers its just a matter of choosing the one that best suits your needs.

When you buy one of the packages, AV123 has special pricing for additional speakers. Their used to be a list that showed what the prices for additional speakers purchased with packages were, I can't find it any more.

You are correct that the rear center channel is mono, the 950 has dual outputs so you don't need to worry about splitting the signal.

Parker is right, listen to as many speakers as you can. Speakers are too subjective to take anyone's word, you have to hear them for yourself.

Hope this helps some,

Alex

15. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

If you have the budget and want the separates the Outlaw combo can't be beat IMHO.

As far as speakers go I will agree with others that the Rockets would be a very nice choice. I can concur that you need to contact AV123 directly as they are more than willing to make a sweet deal involving whatever speaker setup you need.

Also to throw in another choice, take a look at nOrh speakers. I had them for while and really enjoyed them. My favorite was the Synthetic Marble 6.9s. They are a little unusual as far as shape but they sound very good!

Good Luck!

Greg

16. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

That sub would probably work well with A LOT of speakers.

Best thing is to go out and listen, find out what you like.

If you can, bring in Ascend, Rockets, and Axioms for in home listening.

17. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

NHT T6 is another speaker system to audition..

18. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I'd like to throw out another nod for the Polk LSi series, they're a steal of a deal from a B&M store and you can usually find them quite cheep online.

Brian

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have probably written this before, but here goes again.

I picked the 550s instead of the 750s. Although if I were using this system to closely listen to a lot of music, I think that the 750s are a better choice, just as Alex has written.

I really think that for these speakers the terms ‘laid back’ and ‘bright’ probably indicate a bigger difference than really exists. One of the careful listeners in Dallas found the 750s to be neutral—he would not agree with the term laid-back.

Certainly there is a noticeable difference in the two (I find the 550s brighter than the 750s, but evaluated on their own, that is not a term I would use. I would use a sub with the 550s for both music and HT. I don’t think a sub is necessary (or perhaps even desirable) for 2-channel music with the 750s. But to be accurate, I do not have not spent a great deal of time listening to the 750s.

I expect that I am in the minority in choosing the 550s, but I find them to be very fine HT speakers, especially as they match so well with the 200 center channel.

One final note, the 750s would be a better choice with a large or open room as they put out more sound. Call Steve or Sean at AV123. They are both very knowledgeable and helpful. I’m sure that they will advise you correctly.